Vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
How long should u wait before taking a new tortoise to the vet for the first time?

jesst

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I took my sully a couple of days after i got her. They just checked her out and did a fecal, which she ended up having pin worms and an amoeba :(

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have never taken any of mine to the vet, all but one was healthy when I got them so I did not see a point in spending the money.. But that is just me, if you need peace of mind or if you got your tortoise from a pet store then take it as soon as you can.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
dmarcus said:
I have never taken any of mine to the vet, all but one was healthy when I got them so I did not see a point in spending the money.. But that is just me, if you need peace of mind or if you got your tortoise from a pet store then take it as soon as you can.

She came from petsmart. But they said she had recently been taken to the vet and checked for parasites. Think I'm gonna give her a couple more days to settle in I guess

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I would not trust what they said at petsmart about the vet, since it is most likely a W/C tortoise then a vet visit will be in order to at least check for parasites..

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
dmarcus said:
I would not trust what they said at petsmart about the vet, since it is most likely a W/C tortoise then a vet visit will be in order to at least check for parasites..

Yes that's true. But they were honest about the fact that she had an URI when they first got her so why lie about checking for parasites? Also she was treated for the URI as well. But I will take her soon to have her weight and such checked as well :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
URI is very easy to see because all the signs are external, Im not saying they are lying, I am just saying don't believe everything they tell you.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
dmarcus said:
URI is very easy to see because all the signs are external, Im not saying they are lying, I am just saying don't believe everything they tell you.

I'm not :) I'm about to call the vet now

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
Upper respiratory infection. BTW - I've had my Greeks for 11 months and am bringing them to the vet for the first time this Sat. I'll make sure to post after!

Status
Not open for further replies.