Vet registration done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dar's mum

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SW England, UK
I have just registered my little Darwin at a local vet and come back.
Darwin's been with us for 3 weeks now and seems to be settling down - eating, walking, sleeping and pooping well :D, so I took him and his stool sample to the vet.
The Doctor said that although he's a bit small, there are no visible problems and he looks healthy. He also told me that what I feed him is fine. What a relief!
The stool test result is coming back in a week and the doctor will give Darwin worming medication, only if there are lots of worms infested.

Now I've got somewhere to ask for a help 24/7, if Darwin has got an urgent health issue. Which is great! :)

Dar's mum

5 Year Member
SW England, UK
Thanks, TortoiseLuv0131,
Hope Darwin hasn't got too many parasites... I've fed him some mashed butter-nut squash & seeds a couple of times, so hopefully it cleared worms out from his tummy! :)

Dar's mum

5 Year Member
SW England, UK
The stool test result has already come back! Which is quicker than expected but vet told me that Darwin's got oxyuris (pin worms?)… :(

Panacur is prescribed in a little syringe, so I mixed it in tortoise food and Darwin ate all of it this evening. This is the first round then 2 more to go in 2 & 4 weeks times.

Is there anything I should do during the treatments? Could I feed him as usual?
Darwin normally poops (sometimes with uric acid) when he's walking around in garden or in tiled conservatory, so he only occasionally wees in his indoor enclosure. I'm using sand-mixed substrate, so normally wee is very easy to scoop out. I clear all mess instantly, so normally he doesn't have time to walk over. Should I change all substrates?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would avoid using sand, and try coco coir. Also, start soaking daily if you aren't already.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

Dar's mum

5 Year Member
SW England, UK
I've been using 50:50 playsand and compost, but I wanted to change it, as it dries out quickly and Darwin doesn't walk around in his enclosure as much as when he's out in garden or conservatory, even though I added tiled and stone areas. This is good opportunity so I'll find coco-coir then! :)
I've been soaking him every morning before feeding him, so i'll carry on doing it. Thank you so much! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.