Vet Call, What should I allow and not allow?

Destben

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
OMG, I didn't know. She had an entire bowl of it at the pet store and they said she loved it, so have been giving her a bite or two of each every day for a year. I feel so bad. I probably caused her illness.
Unfortunately a lot of info and food from pet stores isn't that good. There is a lot of old & bad info out there.

Destben

Kansas
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk
This is a good place to check for edible food. just make sure to read the entire description because it might say "only the leaves are edible or only advised for fruit eating species". there are lots of stipulations but it is a very good data base.

Destben

Kansas
Also try not to blame your self there is a lot of incorrect info out there and its petaled to owners world wide. Its not your fault you have done your best to take care of him with the info you have. making corrections and being able to admit when you are wrong is all most of us can do. I know when I started keeping torts mine got sick because I set up with bad care info. Its about learning and making changes. This makes you a good tort parent.

Bambam1989

East Texas
If your tort has gotten worse then it's definitely a good idea to get it to a vet.
Like the others have warned, NO vitamin shots. You can expect things like a fecal exam, blood work, and possibly x-rays.
There are several things that could be the issue, some may be a parasite overload, constipation, or a blockage such as a stone build up, or some kind of an infection.
I also agree with the others that the bell pepper isn't suitable, a small piece of squash maybe once a month is fine in my opinion. Which variety of mazuri do you use, the LS or the original?

Destben

Kansas
If your tort has gotten worse then it's definitely a good idea to get it to a vet.
Like the others have warned, NO vitamin shots. You can expect things like a fecal exam, blood work, and possibly x-rays.
There are several things that could be the issue, some may be a parasite overload, constipation, or a blockage such as a stone build up, or some kind of an infection.
I also agree with the others that the bell pepper isn't suitable, a small piece of squash maybe once a month is fine in my opinion. Which variety of mazuri do you use, the LS or the original?
I agree with @Bambam1989 there are still multiple things it could be. we can only judge based on what we are told. sometimes its better safe than sorry to seek medical help.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
The Mazuri is the LS. She doesn't really eat it, but I keep offering it to her. After her bath this morning I placed her infront of her food, she took 2 bites of the kale and went back to her cave. But she did taste her food. She did seem to look for the bell pepper or butternut squash. Do you think she's just being picky and spoiled? May be bored and lack stimulation?

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Can’t remember if this has been asked but does she have any outside time?
Sounds like my Russian did, until I started putting him outside. He never never gained a gram in a month, picked at food, spent most time sleeping. Now he goes outside he is a changed tortoise.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Can’t remember if this has been asked but does she have any outside time?
Sounds like my Russian did, until I started putting him outside. He never never gained a gram in a month, picked at food, spent most time sleeping. Now he goes outside he is a changed tortoise.
No she doesn't get hardly any outside time because it's been so cold. However, we did setup her outdoor pen and tomorrow should be warm enough to take her out.

Destben

Kansas
I'll keep her appointment and maybe have the Dr do an x-ray to rule out blockage or swollen kidney's. Shouldn't hurt, right?

It shouldn’t hurt but if the doc doesn’t think you need it it might be better money wise not to. It’s totally up to you.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
It shouldn’t hurt but if the doc doesn’t think you need it it might be better money wise not to. It’s totally up to you.
She just seems so sleepy, she didn't even move in her bath water today. I did see her take a little drink tho. It would just break my heart if she were to die on me.

Destben

Kansas
She just seems so sleepy, she didn't even move in her bath water today. I did see her take a little drink tho. It would just break my heart if she were to die on me.
what are the temperatures in your enclosure?

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
what are the temperatures in your enclosure?
right now the basking is: 95
middle is: 72.1
other end is 88 because I turned on her other heat lamp since she insisted on being in her cave.

we turn off all the lights except her heat emitter at night and she stays in the cooler part as under the heat admitter I have it set for around 80, and the ends vary from 62 to 69.

I've been having trouble keeping her temps regulated, I wet her substrate down morning and night for moisture. I'm expecting my meter to arrive today, I have the crappy one now and it says around 80%

Destben

Kansas
other end is 88 because I turned on her other heat lamp since she insisted on being in her cave.

we turn off all the lights except her heat emitter at night and she stays in the cooler part as under the heat admitter I have it set for around 80, and the ends vary from 62 to 69.

I've been having trouble keeping her temps regulated, I wet her substrate down morning and night for moisture. I'm expecting my meter to arrive today, I have the crappy one now and it says around 80%
this sounds good except the humidity but that just might be the gauge. are there any other symptoms other then the not eating, constipated, and lethargic?

Destben

Kansas
What should the humidity be? Am I keeping it too humid? No, those are her only symptoms.
Babies need more humidity then the adults and theirs is 50-70% according to the care sheet. so I would reduce. Do you have a temperature gun? if you do go to her favorite spot and check the temp there so see if maybe the moisture is making it colder then the rest of the enclosure.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Babies need more humidity then the adults and theirs is 50-70% according to the care sheet. so I would reduce. Do you have a temperature gun? if you do go to her favorite spot and check the temp there so see if maybe the moisture is making it colder then the rest of the enclosure.
Yes, I have a temp gun and her favorite spot is 77.6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Your temperatures sound great and except for the diet, it seems like you've been doing things correctly.

What type of UV bulb have you been using?

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Your temperatures sound great and except for the diet, it seems like you've been doing things correctly.

What type of UV bulb have you been using?
It's a long fluorescent UVB light that stretches the entire length of her enclosure, we changed it about 3 months ago. Is that what you mean?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's a long fluorescent UVB light that stretches the entire length of her enclosure, we changed it about 3 months ago. Is that what you mean?
Yes. Do you remember what type of tube and how high is it mounted? 5.0, 10.0, HO?