Very First Tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Modesto (Northern) California
remitort071312 said:
Well I'm not sure how much the vet actually knew about torts, but she said she was very very very dehydrated I only had her a week when I got her, but I read on the forum that its a good idea to take them to the vet when they are around other torts incase they have any parasites so I took some of her feces to the vet with me and they did a smear but she said bc her scutes where so poor looking that se was very dehydrated. I didn't believe her bc my Remi was perfect in my eyes she was however sluggish so I misted and soaked her extra times a day as much as she could stand with out stressing her out and I switched her light to a reg basking bulb for the 2nd half of the day and used her MVB bulb for the 1st half of the day (5hrs each). This to me seemed like common sense, I was not given any advice from the vet pretty much don't be surprised when she dies. I'm glad I picked Remi out from all the other sulcatas bc I prob saved her life. The other ones looked very healthy. The vet told me that some times torts are genetically not able to live. Well I hope to bring her back to that vet some day when she's much bigger and say shes a fighter!

Oh heck yes!! Then refer her to refer her tortoise people to the tortoise forum for expert advise. Lol. :) I'm glad to hear she's doing so well. What an ugly energy to put out there for you. Sorry you had to go thru that. Ew.

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
jpmcclure said:
Oh heck yes!! Then refer her to refer her tortoise people to the tortoise forum for expert advise. Lol. :) I'm glad to hear she's doing so well. What an ugly energy to put out there for you. Sorry you had to go thru that. Ew.

I'm sorry for what your going through, it's refreshing not to get awkward looks when I talk about how much I love my tort and how upset it made me, I'll never give up on her. People don't understand how much personality torts have they are funny lil animals to watch and they really do bond with you and love you back. I think Remi and I bonded sooner than we would have if she wasn't sick. She is only 4 months and she knows when I'm getting ready to take her outside and she has a large area to roam. When ever I mist her enclosure she tries so sit under The water when it falls it cracks me up! I think she's part fish bc she loves the water. I'll keep you and Thor in my prayers tonight ;). You seem like a determined tort owner so I think he's in great hands. what ever true out come I think he'll be Just fine.

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
remitort071312 said:
I'm sorry for what your going through, it's refreshing not to get awkward looks when I talk about how much I love my tort and how upset it made me, I'll never give up on her. People don't understand how much personality torts have they are funny lil animals to watch and they really do bond with you and love you back. I think Remi and I bonded sooner than we would have if she wasn't sick. She is only 4 months and she knows when I'm getting ready to take her outside and she has a large area to roam. When ever I mist her enclosure she tries so sit under The water when it falls it cracks me up! I think she's part fish bc she loves the water. I'll keep you and Thor in my prayers tonight ;). You seem like a determined tort owner so I think he's in great hands. what ever true out come I think he'll be Just fine.

Oh god I hope so. Thank you so much. He's so special to us. I'm about 1/2 hr late for his soak & outside time so I better get off the forum (yeah right..I'll be right back in 20min checking for encouraging posts!!). :)

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
jpmcclure said:
Oh god I hope so. Thank you so much. He's so special to us. I'm about 1/2 hr late for his soak & outside time so I better get off the forum (yeah right..I'll be right back in 20min checking for encouraging posts!!). :)

I love this forum too! And I'm sure you already know this but incase you, they say warm water soaks help them poop when they are impacted.

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
remitort071312 said:
I love this forum too! And I'm sure you already know this but incase you, they say warm water soaks help them poop when they are impacted.

He gets a 20min soak just before I put him out for the day. Then he gets a nice long rinse when I bring him in for the night. That's our bonding time. He lets me pick the grasses off his lil face most of the time. All warm water of course. On extremely hot days I turn on the sprinklers for him too. I've noticed with Thor, a nice drive under the open sunroof makes him poop every time. Just no rocks and no real consistency yet. Thanks though. I appreciate ALL suggestions & info. I wouldn't have known anything till this place was recommended to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.