UVB v. Vitamin supplement

Status
Not open for further replies.

historybuff

5 Year Member
My wife and I just got a new RT a few days ago. We are new to the reptile game (although we do own several chinchillas) and we were just wondering is the UVB light necessary if we have a vitamin supplement that we put on his food.
Also since we got him he doesn't seem to eat alot, and just burrows into his substrate and hides is this normal?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Historybuff:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

If your tortoise is full grown, then you don't need supplementation as much as if he were a baby. I don't use vitamins on my adult tortoises, thinking that they get all they need from their food. But I do use a calcium supplement...daily for babies and weekly for adults.

If kept indoors, they also need a good UVB light. The best, in my opinion, is a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) which provides heat and UV all in one bulb.

Give him a couple weeks to get used to his surroundings, but in the meantime, put him in front of his food every morning.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Rt.. he might be trying to hibernate.. make sure he is warm enough.. and the lights are on 14 hours a day to simulate summer time.
Dont over handle, let him adjust.. but do unbury him and place in front of his food dish every day. Make sure you also do a nice warm water soak. This can perk them up.
What are you feeding him?
oh.. and WELCOME!!

tortoise-kid

5 Year Member
It sounds like your tortoise is just getting use the environment. But about the UVB; if the tortoise is indoors a UVB is defiantly required no matter what.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just re-read your post, and I'm thinking you are wondering if your vitamin supplement contains the type of vitamins the tortoise needs for the calcium to work. The UVB light, or the actual sun, gives the UVB which converts to vitamin d. Without the vitamin d calcium just gets pee'd out and doesn't help the tortoise. I don't think there's enough vitamin d in the vitamin supplement to be enough for the tortoise. So, yes, he needs the UVB light.

historybuff

5 Year Member
ok i'm from utah and it's getting cold outside so sounds like a light will be the way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.