UVB Recommendation Needed for Indoor Leopard Baby Habitat

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Can anyone tell me what UVB light source you are using for your indoor housing for Leopard Tortoise Babies. My box is a 40" by 20" flat sweater box with Cypress substrate. The heat I have purchased is a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter bulb (still need to get a clamp lamp). please give me your opinions. I know this probably seems second nature to all of you experienced people, but as I mentioned in another thread I am really "electrically" challlenged.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I use a Powersun 100 watt bulb on one of my tables I also use a 125 watt Solar Glo on the other both are good bulb's

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Haven't heard enough on the Solar Glo to concur...but you hit the nail on the head with the Powersun...and it you go with a large indoor habitat, you might consider the 160W.;)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks guys. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Does anyone know how much time outside in the sun would eliminate the need for a UVB light altogether?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Taking Him Outside Once A Day for 20 Minutes Is All You Need!
But For Winter you Need A Good uvb such as A Powersun 100w

I Personally Use The Exo Terra uvb and Heat 125w, Petsmart has it!

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I am very pro Zoomed Power sun, but I also have the Sun glo like Coreyc mentioned. Jacob's outside answer is good as well.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
thanks. everyone on this forum is great. hope someday I will be able to help newbies the way you have all helped me.

John

5 Year Member
I use both an mvb and a 10.0 tube, also I use "full spectrum" tubes to keep the entire room brightly lit.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
squamata said:
I use both an mvb and a 10.0 tube, also I use "full spectrum" tubes to keep the entire room brightly lit.

There are sure a lot of choices out there. When you say "entire room" are you referring to the entire room in your house or the entire baby enclosure regarding the full spectrum tubes? I put it in a corner of my family room with windows on both sides, hoping for the morning light/evening dark. But, I have sun tinting on my windows so not sure there will be much UVB coming through.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Joy:

Even without the coating on the windows, glass effectively filters out the UV rays.

I also use the Zoo Med Powersun. However, I've recently ordered the sunglo simply because its so much cheaper. You can get it online for around $20. With a UVB light, no matter what brand, and a little bit of outside/sun time, your baby's needs should be met ok.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
emysemys said:
Hi Joy:

Even without the coating on the windows, glass effectively filters out the UV rays.

I also use the Zoo Med Powersun. However, I've recently ordered the sunglo simply because its so much cheaper. You can get it online for around $20. With a UVB light, no matter what brand, and a little bit of outside/sun time, your baby's needs should be met ok.

Thanks Yvonne. That is reassuring.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If you already have a heat emitter, I would just get a tube light like the one Squamata uses. An MVB is a good choice too, so whatever you are most comfortable with will do just fine.

If you can get them out in the morning and late afternoon, that should fulfill their UVB needs. I personally would want a UVB emitting light source inside just to be sure they are getting enough. I try to get them out there for an hour in the morning between 9 and 10am, then after 4pm I keep them out until dark. Be VERY careful when you put them outside, we're almost in the tripple digits as of today. A hatchling will dehydrate very fast in our heat.

John

5 Year Member
DesertGrandma said:
squamata said:

There are sure a lot of choices out there. When you say "entire room" are you referring to the entire room in your house or the entire baby enclosure regarding the full spectrum tubes? I put it in a corner of my family room with windows on both sides, hoping for the morning light/evening dark. But, I have sun tinting on my windows so not sure there will be much UVB coming through.

I am referring to the entire reptile room, as I said I use basically three light sources I do this based on a thread written by Balboa on lighting. The way my setup works is the mvb is thermostatically controlled due to the heat it produces so I use the 10.0 tube so there is still uv lighting in times the mvb may be off due to temp I then have the "full spectrum lighting" to provide the daylight brightness. If you are really interested in learning more about lighting seach all threads by balboa and read his thread on lighting he's a very smart guy.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Neal said:
If you already have a heat emitter, I would just get a tube light like the one Squamata uses. An MVB is a good choice too, so whatever you are most comfortable with will do just fine.

If you can get them out in the morning and late afternoon, that should fulfill their UVB needs. I personally would want a UVB emitting light source inside just to be sure they are getting enough. I try to get them out there for an hour in the morning between 9 and 10am, then after 4pm I keep them out until dark. Be VERY careful when you put them outside, we're almost in the tripple digits as of today. A hatchling will dehydrate very fast in our heat.

Yesterday I bought a Powersun 100 bulb (yikes they are expensive). Set it up over my new tort box but the temp seemed too high...over 100 (we still aren't using our a/c yet). So then went back and got the stand to raise the bulb. Now the temp seems to be good and I feel confident that I have more flexibility with adjusting the heat. Figure I can lower the bulb when the a/c comes on, which will be anytime now. Humidity is good so far. Want to get it right before I get my new baby. :cool:

Oh, and I returned the ceramic heat emitter. Last night the cool side stayed within good ranges, so will monitor that.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sounds like you got it down, what are your temperature ranges and humidity levels through out the enclosure if you don't mind me asking?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Neal said:
Sounds like you got it down, what are your temperature ranges and humidity levels through out the enclosure if you don't mind me asking?

No, I don't mind you asking. I appreciate all the advice I can get. At about noon, on the side with the hide box the temp is 83 and the humidity is 55. On the side with the UVB and basking light the temp is 90 and the humidity is 30. I spritzed it all with water this morning, with more in the hide. Does that seem about right? Haven't measured it during the night yet when no heat light is on. Still want to get a timer to ensure that the basking area will get about 8 hours during the day.
We still don't need the A/C on in the house yet, but when we do, we have it set on a thermostat to keep the house 79 during the day and 83 at night with the fans going. Is that warm enough at night, or will I need to have a warming light over the hide during the night?

Status
Not open for further replies.