UVB light height in enclosure

Prashant

Hello,
wanted to know at what height i should keep 13w UVB bulb in an enclosure for optimum uvb for the tortoises.
i live in mumbai india but sunlight come in the morning after 11pm which is harsh.so they stay in light only in the evening for half an hour at 4 to 5pm but they not always stay under sunlight.

I have kept the bulb at 1feet. i have coco coir as a substrate.Also wanted to know the symptoms of dehydrated tortoise.

thanks,
Prashant

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You should not be using the 13 watt UVB. Those are a cfl bulb and they sometimes burn tortoise eyes. They are also not very good sources of UV. Use a long tube type, or real direct sunshine instead.

How high you mount it depends on the type of bulb, and its best to use a UV meter to set your bulb height, in the same way you would use a thermometer to set your basking bulb height.

Your tortoises do not have to stay in the sunlight for long periods of time. Just having access to real sunshine for an hour a day will get the job done.

It is not easy to see dehydration in a reptile. Tenting of the skin is one way to see it, but that is tough on a tortoise. Sometimes the eyes will look a little sunken in and dry. The best strategy is to soak early and often and always have water available in a suitable bowl. Keeping them with some humidity, offering a humid hide, and spraying their food with water will also help to prevent dehydration.