Uvb light advice

sing

Location (City and/or State)
kansas city, mo
I had 100w mvb bulb on my close chamber enclosure, but temps were at 93 this morning around 9pm central. Humidity was at 79%. I switched to a 65w flood bulb, temps are better now. The question is will my russian baby be okay with uvb until tomorrow? I ordered the uvb long tube, it should be here tomorrow.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I had 100w mvb bulb on my close chamber enclosure, but temps were at 93 this morning around 9pm central. Humidity was at 79%. I switched to a 65w flood bulb, temps are better now. The question is will my russian baby be okay with uvb until tomorrow? I ordered the uvb long tube, it should be here tomorrow.
Yes, no problem for even a few weeks without UVB. I find MVB's just don't work in a good closed chamber. It will overheat it and they are just too desiccating. Plus, in and enclosed chamber the bulb heats too much and just won't last. Tube fluorescents are by far my choice there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with everything Mark said, just to give you one more vote in that direction.

sing

kansas city, mo
Is this temp and humidity acceptable? Reading is in the middle of the enclosure. Cool side is 80

Attachments

• IMG_20171208_113942.jpg
    IMG_20171208_113942.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Is this temp and humidity acceptable? Reading is in the middle of the enclosure. Cool side is 80

Yes.

The optimal core body temp for a tortoise coincides with the incubation temperature that works best for its eggs. That is the best temperature for allowing metabolic functions. For most tortoise species that is right around 86°f.