UVB bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
Hello every one! I am soon to adopt a African Spurred Tortoise but I need to know. If he lives in a tank for 3 years with a UVB bulb and a heat rock will he be ok when I put him to live outside?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Yes, heavens, put that boy outside! He'll love it!
----

Realistically though, do you have an outdoor pen/enclosure ready for him that he cannot escape from? Just curious, exactly how large is he?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
StudentoftheReptile said:
----

Realistically though, do you have an outdoor pen/enclosure ready for him that he cannot escape from? Just curious, exactly how large is he?

Well I don't have him yet but I am soon to build a out side pen for him but I have a tank inside with coconut soil dirt and a UVB bulb all ready for him.

----

And he will be 2 weeks old. He will hatch the first week of July.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I would lose the heat rock; completely useless for a tortoise.

What type of UVB bulb do you have? And do you have a heat/basking light as well?

Definitely check out some of the threads in this section about general care and husbandry, as well as the Tortoise Enclosure section for ideas on outdoor pens.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
I would lose the heat rock; completely useless for a tortoise.

What type of UVB bulb do you have? And do you have a heat/basking light as well?

Definitely check out some of the threads in this section about general care and husbandry, as well as the Tortoise Enclosure section for ideas on outdoor pens.

Why lose the heat rock?! Everyone tells me I need it to keep his shell warm. I think I'm going to keep the heat Rock better safe then sorry. And I don't know EXACTLY what kind o bulb it is.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Well, the rock is only useful if the reptile is actually sitting on it. This is difficult for a turtle or tortoise with a flat shell for a belly. So in essence, the entire enclosure could be freezing, and the only way for your tortoise to get warm is to climb on top of the rock.

Using a basking lamp will warm up an entire area of the enclosure, and heats from above, much like the sun does outside. This is a more natural way for a tortoise to seek out and get heat. And honestly, if you place a flat piece of REAL slate rock directly below the basking lamp, you will have a "real" heat rock, that will not be in danger of overheating or shortcirciting, nor has an ugly electrical cord running inside the tank that the tortoise could potentially chew on (which they can and have done).

The reason I ask about the UVB bulb is that there are 3 main types: the conventional long "tube" florescent bulbs, compact florescent bulbs (CFBs - the spiral-shaped ones that screw into a reg. socket) and mercury vapor bulbs or MVBs. The latter (MVBs) are basically a large two-in-one bulb that doubles as a basking light and as a UVB light.

Stay away from the compact floresecents. Many keepers have noted these bulbs cause blindness in their tortoises.

If I were you, I would get a tube florescent UVB light fixture that stays on for 12 hrs a day, and get a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) as a heat/basking lamp that remains on 24/7.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Lose the rock. There has been many animals burned by them. Also, like already said, they are useless for tortoises.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Definitely take the time to read the threads in Wellington's signature above. ^
----------
I apologize if I came across as blunt earlier. Heat rocks are simply old-school products that are obsolete and hazardous. There are now much safer, and better ways to provide heat for virtually any reptile without using one.

And I also just want to make sure you set-up your little guy right. The first few months of a tortoise are SUPER critical for their development, and so many new keepers make mistakes.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Instead of a heat rock you could get an under the tank heater that sticks to the bottom of the tank. I have used them for Cooper, and it worked good. It was about 10x12 inch's, that way he could get away from it if it got to warm for him. But you can feel the heat from it thru the glass. Good luck!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
JoesMum said:
I don't have a problem with the lamp holder, but that's a coil UVB I think... Not a good idea :(

No it actually is not a coil I'll post a pic when I get it

I don't have a lamp for a tube :( but it's not a coil

The second one looks good I think I'll get that. So it's heat and UVB in one bulb? Because that sounds perfect for my situation!

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Yes, I mispoke when I said compact florescents were only spiral/coil. They can come in the form you have as well. Either way, they're bad. Don't use them.

You'll probably want a ceramic heat emitter during the night to maintain constant temps. Since you seem diametrically opposed to getting a tube lighting fixture, you'll need to get another dome lamp fixture for the CHE. Just leave the MVB on for 12 hrs a day and the CHE on 24/7.

Another thing you need is a temperature gun: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009OBFW4/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 . Absolutely essential for any reptile keeper. Period.

You need to get the readings for 4 main temperature zones:
1.) daytime ambient (average air temp for the whole enclosure) - hi 70s to low 80s
2.) nighttime ambient - hi 70s
3.) Basking spot (hottest spot in the cage) - 100-120'F
4.) cool area (coldest spot in the cage) - mid 70s

BTW, how large is your enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tortoise Boy:

Please take our advice. After all, that's what you came here for, right? We have experience with the heat rocks and with the compact fluorescent bulbs, and you have been given the benefit of our experience. Neither one is good for you to use with your tortoise. If you must use the bulb, then you'll need to ditch the holder. Those type CFLs are supposed to be mounted so they sit horizontally. If you mount it vertically, like in that clamp fixture, the concentrated UV rays coming out the end of the bulb will harm your tortoise's eyes.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I think he's planning on replacing the heat rock (post #10) and getting a MVB to replace the compact (post #13).

Status
Not open for further replies.