~ USGS Earthquake Map ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
I check this site quite often. It has a plethora of information. It shows you the ring of fire and all the earthquakes that have happened around it. Pretty cool source of info.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/

Those of us that live in earthquake zones, how many have an emergency kit and water?

I need to buy water asap. We have a kit, need to bust it out and dust it off and put it near the garage door. Sadly we have nothing at school. When I lived in Valencia, we had to bring little earthquake kits to school that were kept there, 3 days worth of food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's very off-putting. I try not to dwell on it too much. When it happens it happens. I'm prepared.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have ten 1 gallon bottles of water that I replace every 6 months, and I also have a emergency first aid kit, prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Tom said:
That's very off-putting. I try not to dwell on it too much. When it happens it happens. I'm prepared.

Hmmm sorry you felt it was off-putting. I was just sharing info and felt it was a pretty cool site.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Very interesting. We never really hear much about the earthquakes in Arkansas...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a sleeping bag behind the passenger seat of my p/u and a flashlight with dead batteries in my glove box. Does that count as being prepared?

Torty Mom said:
Hmmm sorry you felt it was off-putting. I was just sharing info and felt it was a pretty cool site.

I'm sure he didn't mean that like it sounded, Mary Anne. I'm usually an ostrich about this kind of thing too, but I thought the site interesting, thanks.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
We have a good supply of all we need. You don't think of earthquakes in Arizona either, but we do feel some of the ones that happen in the N Mexico desert area. There was one some weeks ago that rattled the windows here, altho no one really reported damage, and in Mexico, the area is sparsly populated. We should be prepared for whatever, hoping it will never happen.

teri

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
My husband sent me a link that had a guy talking about the ring of fire and he talked about the fish dying because of magnetic forces or something. Anyway this guy supposedly predicted the San Fransisco quake and he says we should have one Sat. the 19th. in S.Ca or Mexico. Am I panicked? No. But I feel I should be a little prepared.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I a m not sure but I thought he predicted one for the 15 but remember earthquakes happen everyday everywhere, so I could just sit around and say a earthquake is gonna hit and then repeat the same thing over and over everyday and sooner or later be right.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Very interesting Angi! I hope he is wrong, but wouldn't it be totally crazy if he was correct? Kinda creepy. I am for sure buying water tonight!! People water, pet water and tortie water!!! I went thru the Northridge '94 quake in Valencia and water was our biggest issue.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
We had a water problem with the last wild fire. After the fire was out the water company had a part broken on the water system that took a few days to replace so we had no water. I get Arrowhead water delivered so I had plenty of drinking water but had to take the five gallon jugs to a nieghbors house to fill up with their well water to flush the toilet. That was crazy because most my nieghbors were gone (evacuated) and they shut the road down before my husband could get through (because of the water) so it was just me and the kids. We had a few friends lose their homes, so we stayed busy trying to help them out.

I am used to preparing for fire, but not sure how to prepare for an earth quake. I guess I should buy that flash light. I never worried about earth quakes. We have little ones all the time.

I ran into a friend at the grocery store last week that had been in the New Zeland earth quake and she was pretty freaked out. They were there because her husband was in a tennis compitition. Needless to say he didn't get to play. Instead they stayed in a shelter. Some vacation huh?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Status
Not open for further replies.