Emergency Kit - Power Outage

HuskyDaneMom

Last night we lost power and, since it was about 65 degrees in the house I was concerned about keeping Cruz warm.

Turned out the power came back in a couple hours and his enclosure didn't get below 70. (I covered the areas where heat could escape and added a blanket over the whole thing for additional insulation.)

But it made me think about "what if?" What if it was colder? What if the power was out all night?

So I want to put together and emergency kit. Here is what I'm thinking:

- Styrofoam cooler
- Handwarmers
- Duct tape
- Gallon ziplock bag with orchid bark

I figure I could put the substrate in in case of pee or poop. Then I could duct tape the activated hand warmers to the underside of the lid. Pop Cruz in and close the lid.

It seems like a workable solution for a winter, over night power outage. But I am curious about others' thoughts.

Next I need to think about a flood emergency kit, but that needs to be more involved as he could have to live in it for a couple weeks.

Anyway, I would appreciate feedback on my idea for an overnight emergency kit.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds good. For your flood kit, don't forget bottled water, food, and same things you have listed above. Because it might be a longer time, get the largest plastic tote box or if there is a larger styrofoam cooler. I would do more hand warmers, and a regular incandescent 60 watt bulb and fixture. The hand warmers incase you don't have electric. They can go without UVB for a while, so I wouldn't bother with that.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We have this problem with our tropical aquarium.

If we lose the power, then we add a battery-operated air-stone to keep the water oxygenated.

Keeping the water warm is a problem in winter. For that we put duvets over the aquarium to insulate it as much as possible to reduce heat loss.

For a closed-chamber or vivarium setup, I would suggest the duvets too. However, UNPLUG THE LIGHTS BEFORE COVERING the enclosure to retain heat. Otherwise you may have a fire when the power comes back on.

Getting a generator is very expensive. If you live in an area where power cuts are frequent, or where they're lengthy when they happen, then it's probably worth considering.

For the occasional short (few hours) power cut though, it's probably not worth it. Even in the wild there is bad/cold weather on occasion and a tort is unlikely to come to any harm.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Battery backup ups systems work great for this issue. No more power than a CHE/lights use they will last for several hours, even days.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Battery backup ups systems work great for this issue. No more power than a CHE/lights use they will last for several hours, even days.

I have a battery on a solar charger , in the event we had a power outage . Now that Speedy is outside , I have an insulated workshop , where my BTS also lives ! I am thinking with a generator I could warm the whole thing , and move Speedy in , in a big old plastic tub til the power is back on !