urates

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumrunr16

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
my tort spanky was soaking and had a large amount of urates... im very concerned as i have not seen this much before. what can cause this. i tried to attach a pic but it wont go through for some reason..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's usually nothing to worry about. Maybe he was a little on the dehydrated side. I'm sure you understand that when a tortoise hasn't had a drink for a long time, they hold their urine and as it is resorbed back into the body, what's left is urates. Its perfectly normal.

Don't be such a stranger. Post more often. And try to get those pictures up for us. We'd love to see your little guy!!

sunkisseddragons

5 Year Member
I finally figured out why my pics were not attaching.
Remember to hit the "add attachment" button on the far right . I kept missing that.
You also have to reduce your pics. If thay are to big they will not attach.
Hope that helps

drumrunr16

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Kansas
thank you for the advice on both issues.

Yes i think he was dehydrated, i put a new water bowl in his pen and i think he has decided he does not like it, so im changing it. Just got him a new one. Was having a hard time finding something he would fit in.
I was just surprised at the amount of urates that came out. It scared me a bit.

haha i will try not to be a stranger, i come on here all the time but just never post anything. I will do my best to get some pics of my boys on here. I have two sulcatas so i will see if i can get some pics up.

M

Maggie Cummings

My Sulcata Bob is about 80 pounds and he puts out a pile of urates that I can pick up with my hand. Then they are a full handful. They are not gritty so I just keep on and try not to fret over it. I see him drink now and then. In the summer he will always drink from the hose, but we have a tough time in the winter...He drinks from his bowl but he doesn't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.