Urates?

Randi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
So, this may be a weird question. To my understanding, seeing white would mean there's an accumulation of oxalates, right?

I have a Cherry Head and I've never seen white in my tortoises' waste. It only ever looks like just feces, lots of it and clear urine. I had seen a comment about being well hydrated when there is white present. I thought I was not supposed to see urates so does this mean I'm doing something wrong?

My tort is given three baths at least as well as two mistings in her tank.

Again, it's a weird question and thanks for any answers.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Clear urine is fine. My leopards rarely have urates at all either. As long as any urates are soft, like toothpaste then your tortoise is well hydrated. Hard urates are bad.

Randi

Canada
Thank you for your reply and the info. It is helpful in case it occurs. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are some species of tortoise that don't have urates. I've never seen urates with my group of Manouria, leopards or Aldabrans. I also have YF and RF tortoises and I've never seen urates in their yards either. Because of this, I have to assume that the RF tortoises don't have urates.

Randi

Canada
Thank you. I've read that in the wild, they can handle high levels of oxalates, so maybe that's why we don't notice it with these guys? Not going to be feeding her an oxalate rich diet of course but this is what I've read.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
My sulcata seems to eliminate urates almost every day with his feces. Usually it is the milky white variety. Sometimes I find piles of urates only and they seem to be more like a thick paste. I have seen some that are gritty looking, but really not gritty. Am I missing something with his care or is this "normal" for an adult sulcata?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My sulcata seems to eliminate urates almost every day with his feces. Usually it is the milky white variety. Sometimes I find piles of urates only and they seem to be more like a thick paste. I have seen some that are gritty looking, but really not gritty. Am I missing something with his care or is this "normal" for an adult sulcata?

Hi Joe:

That sounds totally normal for a large sulcata tortoise

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Hi Joe:

That sounds totally normal for a large sulcata tortoise
Thanks, Yvonne. I thought it was normal. Just sometimes it seems like a lot of urates. But then I don't see how many times there is clear urine.

Randi

Canada
Thanks for both asking and answering this question. I've never seen this in any of my R/Fs "deposits". I felt like a moron for asking.
I felt stupid for asking but I've seen a few things that confused my original understanding of the matter. As I mentioned, I have read that in the wild their diets are high in oxalates and that they can handle amounts that would make us sick. Maybe that's why we aren't seeing them pass them often, some not at all. I'm glad this thread can help others with oxalate questions.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Oxalates and urates are completely unrelated except that an oxalate kidney stone may impair renal function leading to unusual urate production. For the record, it is nearly impossible to avoid oxalates in their diet - collards, dandelions, mustard, turnip and MANY other plants have relatively high levels of oxalates.

Oxalates (the metallic salts of oxalic acid) are compounds synthesized by plants for various reasons; one of which is to dissuade their consumption.
Urates (uric acid and the metallic salts thereof) are the metabolic end product of Nitrogen (mostly from protein) used by higher animals to rid themselves of these waste products.