**Update on Butterworms**

The G

Hello fellow tort-parents, I had read the previous postings on feeding butterworms and did some additional research on when to start feeding butterworms to my 10 month old Cherryhead Red-Foot (Scooter). After consulting my vet, she suggested it was a good time to incorporate butterworms into Scooter's diet. So, I ordered my worms from http://www.elliotsbutterworms.com/ and purchased the 25 pack just in case Scooter was afraid as some other tort parents posted. The worms came priority and only one didn't make it. Well, Sunday is our protein day and no sooner did I put the worm in her dish I came back not even 1 minute later and it was gone. Scooter is a fan was not afraid and I think this is a great addition to her diet. I wish everyone luck.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Glad you had success with these but I don't even know what they look like. Are they like earthworms?

The G

Glad you had success with these but I don't even know what they look like. Are they like earthworms?
Nope, more like grubs. They keep in the refrigerator too. Here is a picture so that you can see the size in relation to a dime. Also, this is a smaller one.

Attachments

• butterworms.JPG
    butterworms.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 20

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Nope, more like grubs. They keep in the refrigerator too. Here is a picture so that you can see the size in relation to a dime. Also, this is a smaller one.
OK then. Looks like fly larvae. Very nutricious!

AmberD

Ontario
Hello fellow tort-parents, I had read the previous postings on feeding butterworms and did some additional research on when to start feeding butterworms to my 10 month old Cherryhead Red-Foot (Scooter). After consulting my vet, she suggested it was a good time to incorporate butterworms into Scooter's diet. So, I ordered my worms from http://www.elliotsbutterworms.com/ and purchased the 25 pack just in case Scooter was afraid as some other tort parents posted. The worms came priority and only one didn't make it. Well, Sunday is our protein day and no sooner did I put the worm in her dish I came back not even 1 minute later and it was gone. Scooter is a fan was not afraid and I think this is a great addition to her diet. I wish everyone luck.
Did you feed them live or did you squish the head? I'm wondering for my 4 month old red foot tortoise.. Thanks!