Update/more questions

ashbelys

5 Year Member
Ok so the last post I made was about my baby western painted who hasn't been eating. I have been soaking him in the pedialyte for at least an hour a day and I have been offering him food in the container he is soaking in because I noticed that my other turtle seems to hog all the food. Unfortunately squirt still isn't even trying to eat it. I've also noticed that he NEVER goes swimming in the water, he just chills on the dock and if I put him in the water, he freaks out like he's afraid or something. My other turtle is always swimming around and exploring and seems to be growing steadily, but little squirt has made no progress. If anything, he looks smaller. I don't know what else to do for him. I even talked to a vet but she told me she probably wouldn't even be able to examine him because he's so small. Someone please help me get my little guy better, any advice is appreciated!

Also, can they absorb protein through their skin? Like if I put meat baby food in the pedialyte soak, would it help?

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Try setting up a little tank with a heater, a little bit of water and a resting/basking spot. Also include a light source such as UVB. What are you feeding? Pellets? If so try different ones, if that doesn't work go to the grocery store and buy a piece of tilapia from the fish counter and cut it up in tiny pieces and see if it will eat that. That's worked for numerous aquatic turtles I've had that weren't eating. You could also try worms, mean worms, little crickets, little feeder fish. Tilapia, worms and new pellets would be my first choice but I really think you need to set up a little hospital tank for him right now. Hope this helps!

And when you feed him, is it in water or in pedialyte? It could have something to do with being in a different environment when being fed and when it was fed in the other tank it could have been being bullied by the other one and not wanting to eat. Exactly why you need to set up a hospital tank ASAP and feed him in that tank so he has familiar surrounds and no bully around. Just go buy a little 5 gallon tank for now I mean it, it will help.

ashbelys

5 Year Member
I was actually thinking of doing that but I wasn't sure it was necessary. I think I will try it though. I was just hesitant bc it's expensive to go buy a second set of everything they need, so I think I will just split light time between the two tanks for now. And I will definitely try the fish, thanks for that idea!

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Okay just make sure you keep the "sick" one warm enough cause your other post said it was stiff and that usually means it was too cold. Try the other food asap and a 5 gallon. This guy doesn't sound like he's doing too good.

ashbelys

5 Year Member
I wasn't sure why he was stiff bc the tank never goes below 75 and they are a northern breed so 75 should be pretty warm to them. I don't know why he won't eat anything or why he HATES swimming. He's a water turtle, he's supposed to love swimming.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sometimes if a turtle is being bullied and chased/bitten by other turtles it stays out of the water for safety.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Yeah so like I said get a hospital tank and try other foods like different pellets, tilapia, or worms. ASAP like today or tomorrow. This guy needs his own space for now.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Agree with the separate tank with a warmer temperature. Try feeding some of the frozen blood worms.

Good luck.

ashbelys

5 Year Member
He LOVES it. As soon as I put it in the tank, he started chowing down. He must just not like the pellets I've been feeding him. He's also been swimming around like crazy. I just couldn't see spending so much on tilapia when I didn't even know if he'd eat it so I got an 87 cent can of tuna. I'm so excited he finally ate something!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1381724633.536854.jpg here's a picture of the hospital tank. Not sure if he likes it or not yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

lkwagner

5 Year Member
It's like $1 for a piece of tilapia and you just cut it in pieces and freeze what your not using. Actually really cheap

But good job sounds like your really trying to save this guy and make him happy

ashbelys

5 Year Member
Oh.. I only saw the ones for like $8 a fillet and I was like no way lol