Under bite

Hey guys,

Pebbles, my Greek tortoise, has an under bite. Is this something I should worry about? I assume there's not to much I can do for it medically. But is there any other measures I should take to make sure it doesn't get worse? Or is it even something that I should be concerned about at all in the first place?

1468094612750.jpg 1468094627834.jpg 1468094645559.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
His beak may need a little trimming , I would supply him with a cuttlebone and see if he wears it down by himself !

I have cuttlebone and a cactus brick in there, she eats on a terra cotta dish that I've cut to make rough ridges. I don't cut up her food super small so she has to work for it. She's also outside a lot. It doesn't look super long, it's mainly the under bite that worries me. Do you think if her beak wears down/is trimmed if it will correct itself?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I have cuttlebone and a cactus brick in there, she eats on a terra cotta dish that I've cut to make rough ridges. I don't cut up her food super small so she has to work for it. She's also outside a lot. It doesn't look super long, it's mainly the under bite that worries me. Do you think if her beak wears down/is trimmed if it will correct itself?
Possibly , if she isn't having any trouble eating I wouldn't think it is a major concern ! ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is my experience that the jutting lower jaw is caused by not getting enough calcium.

Hmm, alright, I give her plenty of calcium. She has always had It to my knowledge, it was there before I got her. The people who had her before me did not take good care of her whatsoever though so it must have developed early on. I just want to know if I should worry. Or if there's anything I can do for it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, you should worry. Left unchecked it will soon get out of control and the misalignment makes it hard for them to bite off food or to graze. I had several young Manouria with the over-shot lower jaw. I had to use the Dremel and file them two or three times a year. Never did get them under control. They've since been sold and I've lost track of them.

So you would suggest filing the lower jaw or a good beak trim a couple times a year? I'll definitely consult my local herp vet. Luckily we have a good one right down the street.