Type of Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fayetteville, AR
Hi. I have a question about what type of tortoise this is. I found it and it had a bunch of sharpie marks on its head and skin. Absolutely disgusting.But anyway, I cleaned it off and now I'm not sure what type it is.

tumblr_m2tgzmjUNV1qjubtno1_500.jpg

tumblr_m2th2euqU91qjubtno1_500.jpg

Also, I think it may have a bit of a problem with its leg. It walks fine and it's very curious, but it has trouble extending one of its back legs wgen it walks. It moves fine other than that. Is that something that will just heal on its own? Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Box turtle, most likely 3 toe. Has some shell damage but it looks old ( the shell damage I mean).

E27

5 Year Member
Fayetteville, AR
Oh really? Thank you so much. That changes things a lot. I was setting up a habitat as if it were a tortoise.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Male, Eastern. And an older soul. Absolutely gorgeous! You found him? My first suggestion would be surrender him to your local DNR, but this guy seems like an escapee. Captured wild as an adult and fed a bad diet for a LONG time. Do his hind legs move at all? Plastron photo with hind legs extended will help (determine) .

E27

5 Year Member
Fayetteville, AR
Oh yeah I'm definitely not going to keep it. I live in Arkansas so I think that it's native to around here and someone just grabbed it and tried to keep it as a pet. There's a stream downtown so I think I'm just going to let it go at the stream there. I've wanted a tortoise for a long while so I thought this was my chance to get one. But since I'm thinking more and more that this turtle kind of just wandered into someone's yard as a wild animal, I'm going to let it go on its way tomorrow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi E27:

Welcome to the Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

You have a Terrapene carolina triunguis (three-toed box turtle), probably male, but I'd need to see the back feet and tail to be sure.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
this is no doubt a male three toed box turtle. the olive drab shell and the orange/red eyes is a dead giveaway. Age is very hard to determine unless you have had it when it was a hatchling...also because box turtles like to burrow under ground, they wear their shells down...He looks like he has some scute damage..poop guy, no doubt he wasnt taken care of....he will eat worms, crickets, mealworms, butter worms, wax worms, and a large variety of fruits and veggies......btw I would like to have him!!

IF YOU ARE GOING TO RELEASE HIM YOU NEED TO DO SO BY A FORESTED AREA, NOT A STREAM, THEY NEED TO BE ABLE TO HIDE OTHERWISE A PREDATOR WILL GET HIM. ALSO I FEEL YOU SHOULD KEEP HIM AND TRY TO FIND HIM A HOME, i WOULD GLADLY TAKE HIM IF YOU WANTED TO OVERNIGHT HIM TO ME, I WILL PAY THE POSTAGE :)

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
My apologies. Yvonne is dead on. E27...If his hind leg is crippled and his shell painted, don't just let this guy go. He's older than you!

E27... Take jojodesca's advice.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Sharpie marks? I can only think of three reasons for someone to write on a turtle-
- Keeper making identification marks on one of their animals
- Someone screwing around with wild animals (which in much of their range is actually against the law)
- A researcher marking an animal for later ID and to note growth and changes.

May we ask what kind of marks you found? It might help determine what the best thing is to do with the turtle.

It is almost certainly a three-toed box turtle as so many others have suggested. You may want to contact (anonymously perhaps) your local DNR and see what the laws are concerning these animals in your area. It may be illegal to collect or keep them and they can guide you to returning it if that is your choice.

E27

5 Year Member
Fayetteville, AR
emysemys said:
Hi E27:

Welcome to the Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

You have a Terrapene carolina triunguis (three-toed box turtle), probably male, but I'd need to see the back feet and tail to be sure.
Thanks! And my name is Zac. Sorry I didn't make an intro thread or anything. I needed information pretty quickly about it.

Madkins007 said:
Sharpie marks? I can only think of three reasons for someone to write on a turtle-
- Keeper making identification marks on one of their animals
- Someone screwing around with wild animals (which in much of their range is actually against the law)
- A researcher marking an animal for later ID and to note growth and changes.

May we ask what kind of marks you found? It might help determine what the best thing is to do with the turtle.

It is almost certainly a three-toed box turtle as so many others have suggested. You may want to contact (anonymously perhaps) your local DNR and see what the laws are concerning these animals in your area. It may be illegal to collect or keep them and they can guide you to returning it if that is your choice.
It was just someone messing with the animal. I could tell. This wasn't an identification marker. I think I'll take it to the pound so they can find a home for it. The pound here has a very strict no-killing policy on any animal they take in so I know he will be in good hands with them.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
i have TF.ORG set up so i recieve an instant email notification when a new thread starts and etc, im surprised i came into the conversation so late...

Anyways Yes its a three toed box, a sub spp. of the eastern box.
This animal should in no way be released... i think either adopting him to JOJO is she is truly willing or surrendering him to either a native wildlife rehab center or pund is the best. i suggest a native wildlife rehabilitation center IF you do not wish to take on this guy.
You can tell he needs some attention and releasing him outside of his home range (whereever that is) is no bueano.

So thanks for rescuing this poor fella! cant wait to hear what you decide

E27

5 Year Member
Fayetteville, AR
I dropped him off to the pound so he's in good hands. Thank you all so much for your help. Hopefully I'll be back one day when I'm able to have a tortoise of my own!

Status
Not open for further replies.