Two birds with one stone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa, U.S.
A few weeks ago, our daughter was sick, so we invested in an "Exergen Temporal Thermometer." It was a little pricey for me (~$35), but when I found out it gave me immediate, accurate readings when testing Smiley's enclosure, I decided to keep it. I just hold it under her light or on her cool side and press the button for a second, and I know the temp. It is pretty neat.

I just wanted to share.

Evan

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
I was wondering if it would work for the torts too when AI heard the "star wars thermometer" commercial.

Thanks for being the guinea pig. :p I think I will get one.

Dawna

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks Evan, that is much more practical than the $175.00 one I was looking at. (Yeah, :D jumping with joy.)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
That's pretty cool! I have one of those infrared temperature guns. We bought it for the tort and end up using it around the house for stuff too. :) About $25, so a good investment.

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
I have a laser infrared thermometer. My dads in the food business and he used it...then I adopted it when I got torts. It was like 100$ when they first made them. Now they are lots of places for 20-30$
SDC11474.jpg

My torts will chase the laser beam.

Oogie

5 Year Member
I would verify it's accuracy using a thermometer meant for air temps. I am an ER nurse...we always pass on the temporal thermometers (but they are better than tympanic) if we need a REAL accurate result (ie, a febrile infant). We've found the really expensive hospital ones not to be accurate...a cheap store-bought one could be less accurate. Also check to see if any calibration is required. If so, it could be even less accurate in the future. If you don't mind inaccuracy by +1/-1, then it really wouldn't matter.

good creativity and especially if it's accurate!

A few weeks ago, our daughter was sick, so we invested in an "Exergen Temporal Thermometer." It was a little pricey for me (~$35), but when I found out it gave me immediate, accurate readings when testing Smiley's enclosure, I decided to keep it. I just hold it under her light or on her cool side and press the button for a second, and I know the temp. It is pretty neat.

I just wanted to share.

Evan

oh my...so sry...my computer lagged when i clicked on my mouse and i accidentally rated your topic when i wasn't even trying to rate it...and it only gave you a 4 =(

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
Hi all,

Oogie, thanks for your input. I have a glass thermometer and a circular, analog thermometer for Smileys enclosure. Since they read relatively slow, I like the temporal thermometer. It is nice because the range on it is about 60-120 F. I will test it by checking the air temp in the house, an it matches our thermostat and the other thermometers we have. So, for our purposes it does pretty well. It is definitely easier then trying to get a rectal temp from a sick, sleeping baby.

Evan

Oogie

5 Year Member
thanks for checking...i might consider using it for my tort if it appears accurate! those laser guns are WAY too expensive...dutton you lucky duck!

haha...see, the nurse in me would RATHER get a rectal temp LOL...my poor kids =( it's ok...my 5yr old doesn't remember the trauma and my 1yr old sleeps through EVERYTHING.

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
Oogie said:
I would verify it's accuracy using a thermometer meant for air temps. I am an ER nurse...we always pass on the temporal thermometers (but they are better than tympanic) if we need a REAL accurate result (ie, a febrile infant). We've found the really expensive hospital ones not to be accurate...a cheap store-bought one could be less accurate. Also check to see if any calibration is required. If so, it could be even less accurate in the future. If you don't mind inaccuracy by +1/-1, then it really wouldn't matter.

good creativity and especially if it's accurate!

I just wanted to share.

Evan

oh my...so sry...my computer lagged when i clicked on my mouse and i accidentally rated your topic when i wasn't even trying to rate it...and it only gave you a 4 =(

That's funny, because every hospital I have worked agency with in San Antonio uses them and only goes rectal if they get a high reading. I use one at home because with a sick child it seems to work best for me.
I agree that the tympanic ones are worthless. You have to hurt someone to get an accurate reading.
I wonder if any studies have been done....

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/90410.php
"the study found that temporal artery and oral thermometers registered temperatures more accurately than other non-invasive methods when compared to core body temperature."

Oogie

5 Year Member
nrfitchett4--

Yea, well...here in San Diego, we try to avoid them LOL!

As for that article...note where it says "non-invasive"...a rectal temp IS considered invasive (even more invasive is a bladder temp). A rectal temp is also more accurate than either the oral or temporal. BUT (pun intended), we are talking about registering "air" temps with a temporal artery thermometer...a whole different thing...temporals use an infra-red scanner which most likely requires a certain type of feedback that air cannot provide...AND...they are calibrated around human body temps, which can make the accuracy of air temps...umm...well, not accurate.

But yes...here is a research article re: temporals that says accuracy was poor in adults and suboptimal in children http://www.anesthesia-analgesia.org/cgi/content/abstract/95/1/67

Maybe there are better ones out there. The hospital-grade ones I've used (and I don't remember the manufacturers) seemed useless. Until recently, I worked as an ER registry nurse within the county...not one favored the temporals.

I can completely understand why many parents would prefer to use a temporal on their baby...most are not comfortable with idea of checking temps rectally. I'm just different...I even prefer Tylenol suppositories over infant liquid drops.

:D

That's funny, because every hospital I have worked agency with in San Antonio uses them and only goes rectal if they get a high reading. I use one at home because with a sick child it seems to work best for me.
I agree that the tympanic ones are worthless. You have to hurt someone to get an accurate reading.

I wonder if any studies have been done.... http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/90410.php
"the study found that temporal artery and oral thermometers registered temperatures more accurately than other non-invasive methods when compared to core body temperature."

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
I definitely agree with the Tylenol suppositories. When my son was really little little, he would projectile vomit anything taken orally. My hats off to you for being a nurse. My wife makes fun of me because I start to dry-heave every time I get pooped on by the baby :)

Evan

Oogie said:
nrfitchett4--

Yea, well...here in San Diego, we try to avoid them LOL!

As for that article...note where it says "non-invasive"...a rectal temp IS considered invasive (even more invasive is a bladder temp). A rectal temp is also more accurate than either the oral or temporal. BUT (pun intended), we are talking about registering "air" temps with a temporal artery thermometer...a whole different thing...temporals use an infra-red scanner which most likely requires a certain type of feedback that air cannot provide...AND...they are calibrated around human body temps, which can make the accuracy of air temps...umm...well, not accurate.

But yes...here is a research article re: temporals that says accuracy was poor in adults and suboptimal in children http://www.anesthesia-analgesia.org/cgi/content/abstract/95/1/67

Maybe there are better ones out there. The hospital-grade ones I've used (and I don't remember the manufacturers) seemed useless. Until recently, I worked as an ER registry nurse within the county...not one favored the temporals.

I can completely understand why many parents would prefer to use a temporal on their baby...most are not comfortable with idea of checking temps rectally. I'm just different...I even prefer Tylenol suppositories over infant liquid drops.

:D

I wonder if any studies have been done.... http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/90410.php

Oogie

5 Year Member
haha...well, it took me a few weeks before i was willing to change my first baby's poopy diaper LOL my hubby was already a pro because he is the oldest of 8 kids. i still freak out when there's escapage from the diaper...go figure!

bet you're putting that hat back on now :p

>>My wife makes fun of me because I start to dry-heave every time I get pooped on by the baby :)

Status
Not open for further replies.