Turtle's eye keeps closing. Help!

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
Hello y'all! I rescue turtles that have been hit by cars. One of my turtles, One Eye (he lost his eye when I saved him) has been having his good eye swell up. He turns whitish and is shut. It opens during warm water soaks. I live in Louisiana and he is outside turtle. I soak their area in different spots daily. It's already getting to 95 degrees. Why is his eye doing this? Anything I can do? When it just opens it looks like he has teared up. He is also a three toe box turtle.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
what kind of UVB bulb are you using those coil type bulbs are known to cause eye problems

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Can you stop soaking? in box turtles eye problems are usually a vit. a problem. But since this seems to come and go it is prob. not that.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Hi, Andrea Rosie- I'm in Louisiana too (Covington, to be exact). Seems like there's a bunch of us Louisianians here on the Forum! What part are you from?

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
Hi, Andrea Rosie- I'm in Louisiana too (Covington, to be exact). Seems like there's a bunch of us Louisianians here on the Forum! What part are you from?

I am from Bossier City the city across the Red from Shreveport.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you seen the turtle eat? The most common cause of swollen shut eyes with box turtles is because they're not eating and the lack of vitamin A associated with not eating. Try offering him something all on his own instead of just putting down the food at the community feeder. Maybe give him a night crawler dipped in vitamins. He would benefit from the Gerber strained carrot soaks too.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Cool! I used to live in Shreveport!

I promise not to hijack this thread any further.:)

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
Have you seen the turtle eat? The most common cause of swollen shut eyes with box turtles is because they're not eating and the lack of vitamin A associated with not eating. Try offering him something all on his own instead of just putting down the food at the community feeder. Maybe give him a night crawler dipped in vitamins. He would benefit from the Gerber strained carrot soaks too.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

I always feed them all on their own along with the community food.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
But have you actually seen him eating?

747117wei24kafiu.gif