Turtle problems

Adam Nenno

My turtle (Jeff) keeps trying to run away my other turtle (Fred) did run away i got a new one named battle-storm ( very shy). But jeff won't stop trying to bite me, What do I do so he'll stop trying to bite me?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
What type of turtle?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is your box turtle an ornate? They are pretty bitey. There's really nothing you can do to stop this behaviour besides quit picking him up. Turtles are wild animals and don't appreciate being messed with.

You have to provide him with a safe habitat that has strong fencing that he can't climb over. His area should have quite a few plants and bushes so he feels safe from predators (and YOU are considered a predator in his eyes). There needs to be a waterer he can climb into and out of safely.

Welcome to the Forum!! Box turtles are one of my favorites.

Adam Nenno

Is your box turtle an ornate? They are pretty bitey. There's really nothing you can do to stop this behaviour besides quit picking him up. Turtles are wild animals and don't appreciate being messed with.

You have to provide him with a safe habitat that has strong fencing that he can't climb over. His area should have quite a few plants and bushes so he feels safe from predators (and YOU are considered a predator in his eyes). There needs to be a waterer he can climb into and out of safely.

Welcome to the Forum!! Box turtles are one of my favorites.

Thanks this is what him and Battle-storm have, a turtle fortress of awesomeness but instead of a waterer I have a pot tipped over with a ramp of dirt leading to a water bowl they also have a pool easy to get out of and a dirt ramp leading to its entrance

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a pretty nice turtle habitat. The sides may be just a tad too short, though. Is there any way you can add a horizontal board across the top edge all around that overhangs inside to keep them from trying to climb out?

Adam Nenno

That's a pretty nice turtle habitat. The sides may be just a tad too short, though. Is there any way you can add a horizontal board across the top edge all around that overhangs inside to keep them from trying to climb out?
Yah cause my dads a carpenter so he could help me

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Killerrookie

:O... My favorite type of Box Turtles!!!!! Yvonne is right about their biting habits. I had a girl before and she loved to try to bite my finger. I bet she thought it was a yummy worm. Beautiful habitat for sure!