Tube Light w/correct UVB output for Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I currently use a Powersun, but it leaves half the enclosure a little too dark and my little guy doesn't explore that side..........so I want to add a tube light. Which one gives out the proper UVB for a Leopard tort that's 1 1/2 years old?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you leaving the mvb in? Also, have you checked out Toms threads below for raising a healthy, smooth leopard. The sulcata one will apply also.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
If you already have a powersun I would go with a 5.0 personally.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
If you already have a powersun I don't think it is necessary to use a UVB tube as well, I would just get a regular plant grade one from homedepot for like 5 bucks. It will light up the other side and save you some money, since he will get the UVB rays from the powersun while basking under it.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
wellington said:
Are you leaving the mvb in? Also, have you checked out Toms threads below for raising a healthy, smooth leopard. The sulcata one will apply also.

I don't think I'll leave the MVB in, but instead will replace it with a bulb that only outputs heat.

Yep, I've read Tom's threads :) I actually have them printed and in a folder and refer to them periodically!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
gieseygirly said:
wellington said:

I don't think I'll leave the MVB in, but instead will replace it with a bulb that only outputs heat.

Yep, I've read Tom's threads :) I actually have them printed and in a folder and refer to them periodically!

If that's the case you will probably need the 10.0 are they getting any natural sun?

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
jjsull33 said:
If you already have a powersun I don't think it is necessary to use a UVB tube as well, I would just get a regular plant grade one from homedepot for like 5 bucks. It will light up the other side and save you some money, since he will get the UVB rays from the powersun while basking under it.

Hey, now that's an idea I didn't ponder. Thanks, I definitely have some thinking to do and some decisions to make. I just want the enclosure as best as it can be for Leo, my leopard tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would leave the MVB and use a regular 48" tube from the hardware store too. But I don't like the plant ones. I don't like the color they give off. I prefer bulbs in the 5000-6500K color range. They will have this color scale info on the package for you as you browse through them at HD or Lowes. Bulbs in that range are the brightest and look the most like "natural" sun to me. The bulbs down around 2500-3000K look yellowish to me.

Don't forget that outside sunshine time is best, weather permitting in Ohio, of course.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Tom said:
I would leave the MVB and use a regular 48" tube from the hardware store too. But I don't like the plant ones. I don't like the color they give off. I prefer bulbs in the 5000-6500K color range. They will have this color scale info on the package for you as you browse through them at HD or Lowes. Bulbs in that range are the brightest and look the most like "natural" sun to me. The bulbs down around 2500-3000K look yellowish to me.

Don't forget that outside sunshine time is best, weather permitting in Ohio, of course.

You have influenced my decision, Tom - the MVB bulb stays ;) Thank you for the advice - I'll be jotting the info down on a sticky when I get ready to go to Lowe's this weekend :D

Weather hasn't been too bad lately here in Ohio, although we should be in the 90s right now, but we're not. I've been able to get my torts out nearly every day for 3 to 4 hours a day :cool: They love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.