Trying to decide in Arizona

KristaAZ

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi! I am Krista and I am new. I have been researching species like crazy and would love some feedback and help deciding. I am in Arizona and am wondering what species hibernate and can live outside all year? I know the Desert Tortoise can. My AZDT Morticia recently got out and I am desperately trying to find her. I am looking into a baby (species undecided) that will say inside until it's older and possibly go outside full time. I guess it just depends on the species because I can't imagine having a HUGE tortoise living inside lol. I have been looking up info and am drawn to hermanns, leopard and cherry heads. Some others that I love are out of budget at the moment. Thank you!

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Cherry heads would be a mistake in Ariz. Too dry and to hot. They will do poorly unless kept indoors all the time with a proper set up. leopards should do fine as long as shade is available.

KristaAZ

Arizona
Cherry heads would be a mistake in Ariz. Too dry and to hot. They will do poorly unless kept indoors all the time with a proper set up. leopards should do fine as long as shade is available.

Thank you so much for the info!! Great to know.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I am Krista and I am new. I have been researching species like crazy and would love some feedback and help deciding. I am in Arizona and am wondering what species hibernate and can live outside all year? I know the Desert Tortoise can. My AZDT Morticia recently got out and I am desperately trying to find her. I am looking into a baby (species undecided) that will say inside until it's older and possibly go outside full time. I guess it just depends on the species because I can't imagine having a HUGE tortoise living inside lol. I have been looking up info and am drawn to hermanns, leopard and cherry heads. Some others that I love are out of budget at the moment. Thank you!

I don't know where in AZ you are but if its Tucson, Phoenix or anywhere similar, you'll be much better off with a species that like to go underground to avoid that extreme summer heat. Sulcata, russian or desert tortoise. With any above ground species you will need heavy shade, misters, and sprinklers. Much easier if they can just go underground to avoid the heat of the day.

In winter, adults of most species will do fine there with a heated shelter.

KristaAZ

Arizona
I don't know where in AZ you are but if its Tucson, Phoenix or anywhere similar, you'll be much better off with a species that like to go underground to avoid that extreme summer heat. Sulcata, russian or desert tortoise. With any above ground species you will need heavy shade, misters, and sprinklers. Much easier if they can just go underground to avoid the heat of the day.

In winter, adults of most species will do fine there with a heated shelter.

I am in the Phx area. Great info thank you so much!!!

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
If I was in AZ, I would have Desert Tortoises for sure....But of the species you noted, a leopard would be best.

KristaAZ

Arizona
If I was in AZ, I would have Desert Tortoises for sure....But of the species you noted, a leopard would be best.

Would you? Why is that? Easier since it's native? I know tone is hard to read typing, but I mean that 100% sincere and genuine hahha. I think I haven't really considered desert tortoise at all because it's the native species here, which doesn't really make sense lol. You know you kinda look for things different. I currently have a escaped/missing desert tortoise and I love and miss her so much. I wish it wasn't so hard to get one. You can't just go to a store or contact a breeder =(