Travel

Greek_tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland/Dublin
In a few months, I will be traveling and I will need to bring my tortoise with me. It will be a 2 day trip by car and by boat. Then I will be staying in the location that I'm traveling to for 2 months. Is it OK for him to be a travel container for 2 months or would I need to bring a bigger, non portable one? And is it OK for him to be on a boat? Of course I will bring his heating lamp and other like his favourite hut to sleep in so he wouldn't be so terrified. Thank you.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, it's not okay to be in a travel container for two months. A travel container would not be big enough as you don't want one that is an appropriate size for a housing enclosure.
It really would be much better if you could find someone to take care of him while you are gone

zolasmum

5 Year Member
In a few months, I will be traveling and I will need to bring my tortoise with me. It will be a 2 day trip by car and by boat. Then I will be staying in the location that I'm traveling to for 2 months. Is it OK for him to be a travel container for 2 months or would I need to bring a bigger, non portable one? And is it OK for him to be on a boat? Of course I will bring his heating lamp and other like his favourite hut to sleep in so he wouldn't be so terrified. Thank you.
My hermann's tortoise travels on my lap in the car, with a towel and plastic sheet under him. ( I am a passenger - not driving !) He is perfectly happy nearly all the time, and sleeps a lot. I have never yet taken him on a boat, but I think he would react the same way. I would suggest you try him out with a few very short car trips, and see how he reacts. If it is a familiar experience, he may feel more comfortable - as for the boat, I don't know.
Angie

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Two day trip by car & boat with a tortoise. So, you are off to mainland EU some place? Is it even legal to import a tortoise to the county of destination? Id start there. Check the rules.

Ps - a carry-on pet cage for months sounds a bit cruel.

BeeZee1

manteca ca
the travel box is great for travel
once you arrive get a really large Rubbermaid toter and set it up
you can also get multiple and hook them together for ample room