Training Red Foot Tortoise

Lira

Location (City and/or State)
Brazil
Hello,
Does anyone have any ideas to safely train my baby red foot not to bite me? Now that she is getting bigger it hurts a lot!

She is very tame, cuddles into my hand and goes to sleep, totally relaxes there. I want to keep handling her but would like to curb the biting if I can.

Twice I have tried (this will sound silly, haha), firmly telling her off with a NO!!! The first time she snuggled back into my hand and didn't bite again, but it may have been a fluke.

She looks right at me when I tell her off, but I have no idea if she understands the significance of the change in my tone?

She mainly seems to bite as a form of communication "I'm hungry" or "I've had enough cuddle time now", as in she is not a prolific biter. For example if she is hungry and I feed her, then pick her back up, she does not bite anymore. I'm not sure if that will make training her easier or harder?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Turtlepete

South Florida
While I do believe that tortoises and turtles are more intelligent in some ways then people think, I don't believe they understand being reprimanded, in any way. Yelling NO, or anything of the sort, probably won't have any affect on her, except scaring her. Unfortunately, even the friendliest tortoises bite :). My adults will climb into my lap one second, and the bite my toes because they look tasty the next. I assume it's just curiosity in the form of "Wonder what this tastes like..."

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
eh i'm not really to sure fully on what you mean by training her i hate to say but we don't train tortoises they train us

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Yes, I agree with the torts train us. So, what can you do different that will eliminate the biting or prevent the bite from hurting?

Use your thumb nail to protect your fingers; keep your eye on the torts beak and move out of the way.

Tape a bendable metal splint to each finger; or buy lots of thimbles. :)

Good luck!

Lira

Brazil
Thanks for the replies, guys. Might have to go with the thimbles. ;)
PS: My tortoise may be a bit strange, that or going through early adolescence, haha. She's not at all scared if I tell her off, just stares boldly back at me as if to say "What's wrong with you?" Gotta love her, bites and all! :<3:

Lira

Brazil
While I do believe that tortoises and turtles are more intelligent in some ways then people think, I don't believe they understand being reprimanded, in any way. Yelling NO, or anything of the sort, probably won't have any affect on her, except scaring her. Unfortunately, even the friendliest tortoises bite :). My adults will climb into my lap one second, and the bite my toes because they look tasty the next. I assume it's just curiosity in the form of "Wonder what this tastes like..."

Thanks, you answered another question! I was wondering how long I could keep up our bond as she matures, but if your adults still climb in your lap, obviously quite a while!!