Tortoise Treats

Hi guys,
My Hermann tortoise Phoebe is around 10 months old and is on a leaf based diet.
Occasionally I give her a slice of apple as a treat and she seems to get very excited and really enjoy it! :) (I read on the tortoise table that this is fine in moderation).
Anyway to get to the point a friend seems to think that tortoises enjoy mango so I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is safe to feed this to Phoebes species?
I'm also wondering if there are any other treat type foods/fruits/leaves that I could give her every so often to give her a bit of excitement without compromising her health!
Thank you :) x

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I give mine diff kinds of squash as a treat also bell peppers, pumkin, dandelion flowers are a favorite and so is mazuri :)

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
My tortoise absolutely loves Mazuri, she gets so excited about it she will come running out of any hiding place once she catches a glimpse of the pellets in my hand. I tried mixing some with her greens, but she literally just licked the pieces of Mazuri off of the greens:p

Collards, butternut squash, and mushrooms are also big favorites.

She also loves mango, but she is a fruit eating species and I don't believe Hermanns should eat fruit very often - as quoted from the hermanns care sheet, "offering too much fruit will bring on diarrhea or even an outbreak of internal parasites"

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My tortoise absolutely loves Mazuri, she gets so excited about it she will come running out of any hiding place once she catches a glimpse of the pellets in my hand. I tried mixing some with her greens, but she literally just licked the pieces of Mazuri off of the greens:p

Collards, butternut squash, and mushrooms are also big favorites.

She also loves mango, but she is a fruit eating species and I don't believe Hermanns should eat fruit very often - as quoted from the hermanns care sheet, "offering too much fruit will bring on diarrhea or even an outbreak of internal parasites"
I'm just sitting here thinking about a tortoise licking The greens. Must be hilarious. I have a Russian so they pretty much like everything, but my tortoise really loves dandelion flowers, cactus, and also a sedum called autumn joy. I will give her a carrot every few months. I don't cut it up just give it to her whole and she likes it. I figure it's good for her beak also.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I'm just sitting here thinking about a tortoise licking The greens. Must be hilarious. I have a Russian so they pretty much like everything, but my tortoise really loves dandelion flowers, cactus, and also a sedum called autumn joy. I will give her a carrot every few months. I don't cut it up just give it to her whole and she likes it. I figure it's good for her beak also.

She's just like a kid! She looks like she's going to take a bite of her greens but the leaf goes in and comes right back out of her mouth. The leaf is untouched and the mazuri covering is all gone. It's like eating the caramel off of a caramel apple and not eating the apple.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
She's just like a kid! She looks like she's going to take a bite of her greens but the leaf goes in and comes right back out of her mouth. The leaf is untouched and the mazuri covering is all gone. It's like eating the caramel off of a caramel apple and not eating the apple.
That takes some special talent. I have never given mazuri to my tortoise. Baby I will try it next winter. The weathers getting good enough that she can be outside a little bit most days.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I give Tidgy a little chicory about twice a year.
She goes crazy for it.

Thanks for your responses guys! Will try them as I can and let you know how we get on.
Safe to say she likes dandelion flowers! And she's a messy eater - my little baby :)

Screenshot_2015-05-09-23-29-50.png Screenshot_2015-05-09-23-31-44.png Screenshot_2015-05-09-23-32-30.png