Tortoise table heating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikael

5 Year Member
When i start to build my tortoise table where should i put the heat pad. I want to know because i am scared if the wood cathches on fire so is their a certain thing i can do for the heat pad.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
RE: Tortoise table haeting?

Usually a heat pad is only used to warm up substrate to add more humidity. Are you wanting this to keep the tortoise warm? If so, I would suggest a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) which can used 24/7 (if needed) or in combination with a UVB light during the day and the CHE when lights are off. This way the heat comes from above (which is the best) and can directed into a certain or more limited space, which allows for cooler areas on the table.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It would help to know where you are, what species and size tortoise we are talking about, and what size table.

Most of us don't use heat pads for indoor enclosures, but they do have a place for some applications.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mikael, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm not a fan of using a heat pad for an indoor tort table. Some members have had good luck using heat ropes, but I've never tried that. Like Jacqui has suggested, using a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) to heat an indoor tortoise works better than a heat pad. You would use the CHE at night and a light for during the day. I like to use the MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb) because it is heat and UVB all in the same fixture.

And just a note...most heat pads don't get hotter than 80F degrees, so catching your wood on fire probably won't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.