Tortoise Shell

emma morris

Hi

I've had my tort 3 years now :) Just wondering if his shell is ok or if it not supposed to be like that o_O
Thanks

emma morris

Sorry I thought it had attached! I will do it through my pc now as it won't work through my phone :(

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I'm seeing what appears to be very rapid growth and possibly some signs of pyramiding.

A true side view picture would show if there is actual pyramiding.

What is your humidity level?

Does the tortoise get any outdoor time?

How much is the tortoise eating and what foods?

And what is the length and weight of the tortoise?

PS: Welcome to the forum!

emma morris

Here is a side view, I don't think it is pyramiding as his scutes on the top are slight concave.
I don't have a high humidity level as he lives in a tortoise table in my room, and he does have time outside too :)
I feed him about twice a week on dandelion leaves and flowers, beetroot leaves, dark cabbage, sometimes the salad mixes, rasperries, strawberries, cherries and sometimes he will eat daisy's, he's very picky!
He weighs 220g and from front end to back of shell 10cm.

Thank you :-D

Attachments

• 20140618_193524.jpg
    20140618_193524.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That is all beautiful, new growth. It is even all over, and looks very nice. The reason it is so different from the old spots on the carapace is because he was kept very dry before you got him.

emma morris

Oh that sounds good! I was starting to worry as we have a tortoise at work and his shell is completely different :-/
See pic of them together :)

Attachments

• 20140615_183122.jpg
    20140615_183122.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Are the spots on his shell flaky at all? It looks like dry rot from my end. The growth is good though.

emma morris

They are dry compared to the rest but they are not flakey no. The new growth is smooth and shiny.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It may just be a bunch of dust on him then. It's the scutes marginal and carapace scutes at the points where it's dis colored a little, kinda looks creamish colored to me. That may be wood chip dust though.

emma morris

I am using beech wood chip at the moment in the bottom so possibly! I probably don't soak him as many times as I should though :-(