Tortoise Poo

princess.tort

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a little bit of help, my tortoise did a strange looking poo today! (See picture) any advice what could be the problem?

Thanks.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466462538.208380.jpg

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
All I can see is general shape and white(light) color on one end. Any chance of a better close-up image?
Only here such discussions take place :) What did you feed your tort with @princess.tort? The yellowish end looks wierd, like gelly urates got stuck there mayby?

princess.tort

5 Year Member
I feed her mixed lettuce! I find it hard to find other things for her to eat! She has been off her food lately though.

My main concern was that it would be either parasites or worms!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I feed her mixed lettuce! I find it hard to find other things for her to eat! She has been off her food lately though.

My main concern was that it would be either parasites or worms!
Lettuce alone is not a good diet.

There is insufficient fibre and nutrients in it. Your tort needs much more variety.

Go to your supermarket and write down all the greens you can see. Go out in your garden and do the same.

Then go to The Tortoise Table (TTT) Plant Database and find out what's good to feed and what isn't.
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

TTT also has a plant ID booklet that you can download and an android app. You can also post pictures of plants on here for identification.

There are no shortcuts to giving your tort a healthy diet, and at this time of year there is plenty around, so time spent now learning about what's good to feed will help your tort be healthy for the next 60+ years.

You can also supplement with a proprietary tortoise food like Komodo. However, you should only need it in the winter and it's a bit like feeding ready-meals... OK for a while, but I wouldn't do it every day.

Kasia

Poland
Lettuce alone is not a good diet.

There is insufficient fibre and nutrients in it. Your tort needs much more variety.

Go to your supermarket and write down all the greens you can see. Go out in your garden and do the same.

Then go to The Tortoise Table (TTT) Plant Database and find out what's good to feed and what isn't.
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

TTT also has a plant ID booklet that you can download and an android app. You can also post pictures of plants on here for identification.

There are no shortcuts to giving your tort a healthy diet, and at this time of year there is plenty around, so time spent now learning about what's good to feed will help your tort be healthy for the next 60+ years.
You can also supplement with a proprietary tortoise food like Komodo. However, you should only need it in the winter and it's a bit like feeding ready-meals... OK for a while, but I wouldn't do it every day.
Amen :)

Some store bought greens are ok like lambs lettuce but as a part of a varied diet. It does not look like parasites, but if your tort never had a fecal exam you can drop your sample off to the Vets office for one just to be sure (some are not visible with a bare eye). And of course change his diet - you don't eat the same food everyday - he shouldn't either.