Tortoise Pen/Plans question

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
They are my favorite types to work towards. :)

How you keep it so tropical looking? Some of the plants will never survives in California. This pen of yours are so nice.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You buy what you can that works and are perennials for your area and then go with annuals. Being under the shade trees provides a lot of heat control. Misters also help or just watering as needed. Here it's the winters that kill most of the plants.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the replies and awesome pictures! I haven't made much head-way on the "jungle", but next week hopefully I can make some more progress. The only issue is when I move the trees, they go through shock. I just hope it doesn't take long for them to put off new growth, since the current dies off.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Making the enclosure we dream in our head, is never an overnight job. The longer it takes, I think the more it means to us. I had the same problem with the mulberry trees I moved, they still are not growing as well as the ones I left growing in the fence line. Starting a forest enclosure from scratch IS a long time project, but well worth it.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I have been neglecting this thread, but I'm BACK! I have not made any progress, but atleast this gives you an idea of what I already have. Think of it as a blank canvas with a stream as the foundation. pond 1.jpg
pond 2.jpg The pond/stream is drained as I am doing work on it currently. I still need to do the fountain up stream, hopefully that will be this weekends project. Also I will be adding more stone. Let me know what you think!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The large red rocks on either side of the stream need to be spaced more random.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
The large red rocks on either side of the stream need to be spaced more random.

Please elaborate. They seem random to me. They may appear to outline the stream to precisely, creating a uniform appearance. Is this what you are referring to?