Tortoise pee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
My young tortoise (about 6 months) seems to be peeing brownish pee.
At first I thought he had peed on something that discolored it, but now I am getting worried. I feed them mostly weeds that I pick. I have open space behind me. Though there are tons of weeds I only give them the ones I can identify A few different types of dandilion, mustard flowers and, filieree(sp?) it is a little firnny weed with little purple flowers. I also give them geramium flowers, rose petals and hibiscus from my yard oh and also grass bermuda and ficus. What are your thoughts. Do I have a sick baby? Am I being a paraniod mom? Am I feeding something wrong? They eat twice a day.

Thanks for any help!
Angi

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Angi:

Its the dandelion that makes the urine brown-looking. Not harmful, just vary the diet a little more.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Thank you! Do you know of a web-site that shows good pictures of weeds that are healthy for them? I have looked at a couple but the pics are not very good. Any advice on what I should replace the dandilions with? Do you know if it is the folage or the flower they are getting too much of? Or both?
Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Angi

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's no need to replace them. Just feed other things too. The list of foods you refer to in your first post sound like a nice variety. You can also add dark, leafy greens from the store, like escarole, endive, turnip greens, kale, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Angi, I agree that everything on your list sounds good too, except the ficus. I have read that ficus leaves are toxic and my experience with it seems to back that up.

All of my tortoises sometimes do the brown pee thing too once in a while. Until Yvonnes' post I had never heard any explanation for it.

moswen

5 Year Member
tula does it sometimes too, but it's usually in or around her poop and i always just thought that her poop had discolored the pee... thanks yvonne! you're such a fountain of knowledge, overflowing... :D

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Tom said:
Angi, I agree that everything on your list sounds good too, except the ficus. I have read that ficus leaves are toxic and my experience with it seems to back that up.

All of my tortoises sometimes do the brown pee thing too once in a while. Until Yvonnes' post I had never heard any explanation for it.

Thanks everyone for the the info.

Tom~I am not feeding them ficus. It is a weed called something like fileree. It is a common weed that has fern looking leaves and tiny purple flowers and a cork screw type sticker. I found it on a web site as a tortoise safe weed. I am trying to give them a natural diet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Angi said:
Tom~I am not feeding them ficus. It is a weed called something like fileree. It is a common weed that has fern looking leaves and tiny purple flowers and a cork screw type sticker. I found it on a web site as a tortoise safe weed. I am trying to give them a natural diet.

Angi: Towards the end of your post you said, "...grass bermuda and ficus."

Fillaree is a wonderful weed for food. Very nutritious.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Angi said:
Tom said:

Thanks everyone for the the info.

Fillaree is great, as is "a natural diet". I commend you. Maybe you meant fescue, and not ficus, in the original post?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
emysemys said:
Angi said:

Angi: Towards the end of your post you said, "...grass bermuda and ficus."

Fillaree is a wonderful weed for food. Very nutritious.

Oh...yeah. That was just bad spelling. I meant fescue. It is a grass and actually I quit giving them that after I saw my gardener sprinkle some type a fertalizer on it. I pick for my torts on the part of my yard that is unlandscaped or the open space behind me.

Status
Not open for further replies.