Tortoise Outdoors

matchdog

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
At what size can my sulcata safety stay outdoor. Spike is about 6 inches +/-.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At 6" I leave mine outside all day in nice weather and bring them in at night or on cold days into a 4x8' closed chamber.

I move them outside full time in late spring when they are 8-10". I use large enclosures and they have a heated night box to use any time they like.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
At 6" I leave mine outside all day in nice weather and bring them in at night or on cold days into a 4x8' closed chamber.

I move them outside full time in late spring when they are 8-10". I use large enclosures and they have a heated night box to use any time they like.
Tom, I have 5 leopards that I've been putting outside on warm days. Two of them are under 6". They are all kept together as a small herd so I've been putting them all outside together. Do you suggest I not put the smaller two out all day just yet?
These four plus another not pictured.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423942382.225147.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, I have 5 leopards that I've been putting outside on warm days. Two of them are under 6". They are all kept together as a small herd so I've been putting them all outside together. Do you suggest I not put the smaller two out all day just yet?
These four plus another not pictured.
View attachment 118476

There is no set answer for this. Depends on the weather, temperature, humidity, etc... Outside all day is not good for babies, but once they've grown a bit, a few hours outside should be fine.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
There is no set answer for this. Depends on the weather, temperature, humidity, etc... Outside all day is not good for babies, but once they've grown a bit, a few hours outside should be fine.
Ambient temps have been upper 70's-low 80's when I put them out. Ground temps in the sun have been in the low 90's. They tend to hang out in the mallow which of course is cooler. The youngest/smallest has her own space and she goes out for an he when the days warmth is peak.
I also have been watering the tortoise yard when I put them out each time to add to the ground level humidity. I have not specifically checked the humidity yet though. Them being able to go out when it's warm has just been as of lately and some days it doesn't warm up enough for them to be out so they stay inside.
Below is just the two bigger ones hanging out in the mallow. 6.5 inches and 7 inches.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423968063.306317.jpg

Picture of the two smaller yearlings.
340-ish grams. 4 1/2 inches. 1 yr 5 months old.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423968108.394039.jpg

The babies outdoor space. She is 3 months old.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423968231.760693.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423968299.637140.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Ambient temps have been upper 70's-low 80's when I put them out. Ground temps in the sun have been in the low 90's. They tend to hang out in the mallow which of course is cooler. The youngest/smallest has her own space and she goes out for an he when the days warmth is peak.
I also have been watering the tortoise yard when I put them out each time to add to the ground level humidity. I have not specifically checked the humidity yet though. Them being able to go out when it's warm has just been as of lately and some days it doesn't warm up enough for them to be out so they stay inside.
Below is just the two bigger ones hanging out in the mallow. 6.5 inches and 7 inches.
View attachment 118563

Beautiful torts and beautiful enclosure! ! ! ! !

Picture of the two smaller yearlings.
340-ish grams. 4 1/2 inches. 1 yr 5 months old.
View attachment 118564

Beautiful torts and beautiful enclosure! ! ! !Great pics............

The babies outdoor space. She is 3 months old.
View attachment 118565
View attachment 118566