Tortoise Glass Awareness?

TortLife

Location (City and/or State)
Myrtle Beach
Okay, so I'm a new owner and I'm confused if my tort is aware of glass. I've watched him walk into it repeatedly, but not around it. Does anyone know if they are aware glass is there? I'm assuming they don't (I mean, his head is small so his brain is small), but I was curious. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some tortoises don't understand the concept of glass. For those, you can put up a strip of paper on the outside of the glass so he can't see through.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum.

I have read that torts do NOT know that there is glass. And somehow I confirmed this when I watched my beloved Greek tort trying to go through it, time and once again.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
From what I have observed there is an assumption by torts that they can always get to what they can see. So glass is there for trying to get through, a small hole in the fence that will accommodate their head will clearly let the rest of them through as well... If in doubt, barge on.

The strip of paper works well for the ones that don't get it. We do this on the bottom our conservatory doors to stop Joe trying to get in (or out if we have brought him in for the night)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
They don't seem to get the idea of glass at all.
Ever.
They won't learn and will get stressed trying to reach the unattainable.
Blocking the view is best.