Tortoise Food... help?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham, U.K
So Squirts weeds are still growing at my nana's and aren't ready to be planted into her enclosure.
I picking weeds and grasses for her but she's just not eating them, yet the moment i offer her veg she gobbles it down.

I think she's only been fed on veg her whole life and does not understand that weeds and grasses are for eating.

I've tried putting veg with weeds but she pushes the weeds out of the way.
Leaving her with the weeds for the whole day and not giving her anything else but then she doesn't eat, just sleeps. So then i panic and have to give her something she'll eat then.

So i've been looking at complete tortoise feeds whilst i work on trying to get her to eat weeds.

Here's a few i can get hold of in the UK. Whats your thoughts on which one is best?
Also any ideas on how to get her to like weeds? I've seen her accidently eat them before but then pushes them out the way and sometimes spits them out! Everything i give her is exactly what i've read they can eat. Nothings been near pesticides or anything and i always wash them to make sure they are ok.
Perhaps i just own the only tortoise in the world that hates weeds? That would be just my luck! I'm so confused about what to do.

She's a tortoise that won't eat weeds.... oh i give up! One day i'll get a normal animal.

anyway, here are the foods
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=12S7K2WAKVHTFVRQAAAS

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoo-Med-Gra...CF9G/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1316538359&sr=8-8

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reptile-Foo...JO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1316538359&sr=8-11

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Have you loaded her up with dandelion? It's Emrys' favourite food. I think he had a slight calcium deficiency when I got him, so he refused everything else and only ate cuttlefish, but he's since happily eaten everything I've offered him - dandelion is definitely his favourite, though - he loves the stuff.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Tiago loves weeds but not so much veg?
The Grassland tortoise food are the only pellets most people trust i have them but far forest tortoise you put them in water they soak up so much so fast they collaps which is good!
Many people dont' like the multicoloured pellets but i use them not sure why they dont like them?

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
I've tried filling her tray with Dandelion, Grasses (several types of grasses), Plantain and several other things my auntie said she can eat (My auntie is the plant expert)

The only thing she's ever nibbled at are Plantain. That was once and i offered her it again everyday after with other weeds and she just ignored it!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Get some of whatever you want her to eat and chop it up really fine. Then get her favorite stuff and chop that up too. Start with 10% new stuff and 90% old stuff, spray it with water (for better adhesion) and mix it all up. It has to be finely chopped up for this to work. Gradually increase the ratio toward the new stuff over a period of weeks. Might help to add some color too. A small amount of grated carrot or squash might give her the needed incentive.

They all have their preferences, but the more well-fed they are the pickier they seem to be. In the middle of summer (now) all of mine will eat anything I offer, because there is nothing else. During winter when the weeds are in full swing, they won't even take treats half the time. So don't worry about it if she eats light or skips a day or two. They can go weeks with no food whatsoever when they have to, so she won't starve to death in a few days.

Also, make sure you are using the right weeds. The ones you mentioned are great, but they won't eat some weeds and some are actually toxic. I have no idea what you've got over there, but it sounds like Auntie can help. Check out the "plant ID" section and see if you or Auntie recognize anything.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Thanks Tom.
I shall try that.
Cucumber is her fav so i will chop that up and mix it with some chopped up weeds. :)

Thank you for that Tyler :)
Having the pictures really helps when you know nothing about plants and your aunties in york. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.