Tortoise family life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelly2700

5 Year Member
Hi! I am thinking about getting a lady friend;) for my Russian tortoise, Shelton, and I was wondering if tortoise mates stay mates for life?:tort:

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
No, they don't mate for life. They're solitary animals who will mate when they come across each other in the wild and then they will go their separate ways. Russians prefer to live alone. Keeping one female and one male together is not generally recommended because the male can get over-aggressive and pester the female.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Males can be very rough with females. Frequently drawing blood and removing leg scales with their aggressive biting and ramming. Breeding can be a very rough business for females. Sometimes the female will even turn around and abuse the male. Russians are best kept alone or in groups with one male and several females in large outdoor enclosures with lots of nooks and crannies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Very good info already given.

I have 1 male with 3 females living in a large outside pen. It works for now but I can't imagine having them in anything less. Someday I hope to even expand their pen and make a "bachelor pad" section for the male to have his alone time.

Hope all our advice helps you see that your male will be perfectly happy as the king of his own castle!

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I also agree with what has already been said. If you want a second russian it is better for both if you make a second enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.