Tortoise excreting fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpcullum

5 Year Member
My Russian Tortoise today, when I picked her up for a bit, let out quite a bit of mostly clear, potentially brown-ish fluid. I thought they didn't excrete liquids, so could this be a bigger problem? She's been with me about a week and a half, and eats only romaine leaves and dandelions. I've tried collards and something else, the name eludes me at the moment, if that lends a possible explanation. If that is most likely the problem, how do I get her to expand what she views as food?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
What made you think that tortoises didn't pee? Just curious.

Tortoises hold their urine, re-using it in their body until they can replenish the supply when it rains. But, yes, they do urinate. And it sometimes looks brownish when they've been eating certain things.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You caused the fear reflex. When picking them up let them know by rubbing their back or some other attention getting action. You probably startled her.

Try adding radicchio to your food offerings, along with some other weeds, with rose petals, grape leaves, mulberry leaves, endive(regular and Belgian), turnip greens, etc. Variety is the key.

For my picky eaters, I'll begin with one of their favorites to get the drooling started, and then add in something with more variety.

Good luck.

lpcullum

5 Year Member
Thanks you all, and to answer your question, I didn't think they didn't pee, I thought they relied primarily on the uric acid excretion, and only expelled water in the presence of replenishment. But as for the diet, she will not touch anything purple at all. Is there a way to trick them into trying something new?

Status
Not open for further replies.