Tortoise Enclosure Size

PeggyB

I adopted a desert tortoise as a hatchling about 14 years ago. He's (I assume) still pretty small, about 9". I haven't tried to determine if he's a "runt" or normal size for his age. We moved to northern California 9 years ago, and I still put Pippin in a carrier and into the closet for the winter because I don't think he has an adequate burrow. We've been in a house for two years with a 6'x10' rocked-in garden bed, and I built a flimsy chicken-wire and PVC cover to keep the curious birds out. Now we are moving, and the landlord keeps up the lawn and I don't think they would take kindly to us allowing Pippin to dig/burrow into the yard. We will also be on the water, and I was told there are racoons/possums/skunks all over. So I need to figure out how to keep Pippin safe, and give him digging space. I thought of buying a planter box and getting a good wire-mesh covering (like a chicken yard or something). I just don't know how much space Pippin needs for roaming. I used to use a dog kennel, which seems too small, but the current garden seems so large... I just don't know what he needs. Can anyone gibe me some guidance?
Thanks!