Tortoise Copulation

Dave Guderian

5 Year Member
I would appreciate any advice from those that have experience breeding Hermann's (Eastern subspecies).

I have a male that measures 5.5 SLC and female that measures the same. I have seen him mounting the female, but as I have watched I haven't seen his "willy" come out and so am wondering if copulation has been successful or not?

Is there anyway to know if my female is gravid (other than radiograph for eggs)? I thought about monitoring her for weight gain, but didnt know what to expect (i.e. how much weight gain would be expected if she was forming eggs).

Thanks!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
You can 'palpate' for eggs. This is done by gently putting one finger into the cavity in front of her rear legs, both sides at once, and then gently rock her side to side. You can feel shelled eggs bump your finger tips.

Most often the eggs are made from weight already on-board with the female tortoise. However a sudden weight loss from one day to the next is a good indications eggs have been laid. It takes a few days/weeks to get that weight back again.

In terms of successful mating, sometimes you will see white fluid on the ground after they mate, the males can be sloppy with their half of the bargain.

I don't have Hermann's for experience in there size to be mature to go the full way of mating successfully and laying fertile eggs.