Tortoise Climbs

Mr. Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Buck Lake, Alberta, Canada
Hello. My 3-4 year old red footed tortoise recently started to climb onto the roof of his house. He has successfully made it 3 times now and each time I see him trying I stop him. I am worried he will fall and hurt himself. I have placed rocks beside his house so hopefully he can't do it anymore. I was just wondering why he might be doing this and if he could get hurt.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Enclosures that are too small often result in a lot of climbing, and yes, they can get hurt or even die from falling in their backs (especially if they are upside down underneath a heat lamp or in a water dish).

Mr. Tortoise

Enclosures that are too small often result in a lot of climbing, and yes, they can get hurt or even die from falling in their backs (especially if they are upside down underneath a heat lamp or in a water dish).
So what should I do? I don't have room for a bigger terrarium right now. However he gets lots of exercise as we let him out for at least an hour a day.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would get a taller hide you definitely want to discourage climbing they may enjoy it but it can be very dangerous sometimes deadly

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Either block the route, or landscape it so there are slopes up and down, or place a large rock on top so he can't get up there anymore.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Tortoises who know of the world outside their enclosure are often the biggest climbers. Taking him out everyday may be part of the cause of your problem - he knows there is a big place to explore so he wants to get to it. Some people cover the outside of the glass with opaque paper so the tortoise can't see out in a hopes they won't realize or remember there is a big world out there.

I'd say your best bet is to just tortoise-proof the enclosure so there is nothing dangerous to climb on. Fill the gap fully on the side of the hide that he was using the climb. Get rid of that ramped water bowl I see in your photos (those are flipping hazards) and replace it with a terra cotta saucer.

Mr. Tortoise

Tortoises who know of the world outside their enclosure are often the biggest climbers. Taking him out everyday may be part of the cause of your problem - he knows there is a big place to explore so he wants to get to it. Some people cover the outside of the glass with opaque paper so the tortoise can't see out in a hopes they won't realize or remember there is a big world out there.

I'd say your best bet is to just tortoise-proof the enclosure so there is nothing dangerous to climb on. Fill the gap fully on the side of the hide that he was using the climb. Get rid of that ramped water bowl I see in your photos (those are flipping hazards) and replace it with a terra cotta saucer.
Thank you! :)