Tortoise Climbing Half Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berzerkerwar

5 Year Member
Hello everyone! I just got a Russian Tortoise as part of my family. He is very happy in his enclosure but I have one question. He has a half log in his indoor enclosure (where I live gets cold most of the year) and he tries to climb on top of it. I would normally be OK with this but the half log is against the side of his habitat and I don't want him to fall and get stuck between the log and wall. Does anyone have any advice on what to do ( besides moving it, the only place big enough to move it is where his lamp is and that's secured to the wall) any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It sounds to me as if your habitat isn't big enough. You should have enough room to move that hiding place anywhere it fits in the habitat. Russian tortoises need a lot of room to wander. I would say a minimum size would be something like 2'x4', but bigger is even better.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
If you post a picture of your enclosure someone will be able to give specific advice.

You can build up the substrate on the sides of your hide to make the climb easier or you could build a tall rectangular hide that he can't climb.

Good luck.

Berzerkerwar

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
It sounds to me as if your habitat isn't big enough. You should have enough room to move that hiding place anywhere it fits in the habitat. Russian tortoises need a lot of room to wander. I would say a minimum size would be something like 2'x4', but bigger is even better.

I ended up moving the log to another location by taking the lamp off the wall. It was set up in a way where it was in the middle of his habitat so I could only put things on the side. I moved the lamp to the corner and moved his hut and he now has plenty of room for his adventures!

PUBLIC_ENEMII

5 Year Member
My female was doing the same thing for awhile but she stopped now, but I think she was having fun she did it like 6 times in a row. ImageUploadedByTortForum1375053538.685448.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.