Tortoise Cleaning Solution?

Kingsmen

5 Year Member
Hi fellow Tort-Heads! Just wondering if anyone has come accross, or knows about a soap solution that would be non harmful for a tortoise to soak in & be scrubbed with? Link (my Sulcata Tortoise) is mostly indoors, but still manages to get himself into some pretty stinky situations. He's always kept clean and hydrated in his daily baths, but its hard to get some if the lingering smells out. If u know of anything, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Hi fellow Tort-Heads! Just wondering if anyone has come accross, or knows about a soap solution that would be non harmful for a tortoise to soak in & be scrubbed with? Link (my Sulcata Tortoise) is mostly indoors, but still manages to get himself into some pretty stinky situations. He's always kept clean and hydrated in his daily baths, but its hard to get some if the lingering smells out. If u know of anything, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Herb tea like Camile but in my opinion clean water and brush will do the trick

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Personally I use warm water and a toothbrush.

And a very warm welcome to the forum! ;)

Please post pics of your tort and his enclosure.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
you shouldn't need more than warm water and a soft bristle toothbrush.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you leave him sitting in a tub of water for over 15 minutes, everything stuck on him should come off with a tooth brush or other soft bristle brush. But if you're really intent on using some sort of soap, then baby shampoo would probably be the least harmful.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I would never use any type of soap - even baby soap - as it's too drying.

Soak your tort thoroughly for at least 30 minutes in warm water that just comes up over the join between his plastron and shell.

Use a toothbrush or nail brush for any of the more stubborn caked on muck.

Apart from that, please accept that this is an animal and not an ornament. A faint smell similar to horse manure (they're both herbivores) is entirely normal but usually undetectable.