Tortoise Care for dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
We are going on vacation and of course, I'm not worried about the frogs, the gecko, the birds, or the dogs, I'm worried about my little Carl.

I am having a friend who used to have a tortoise a very long time ago tortoise sit, but she will only be coming over once a day. Other than that, I am having the person coming over to care for the dogs mist down his habitat whenever she's here and checking up on him and such.

We are going to be gone a week and I guess I just need the most simple care for a tortoise for a week. Will he still need to be soaked? I am not going to bother having them take him outdoors at all, he will be okay for a week, but will he need his calcium and vitamin supplements?

And my biggest question, if he gets "mediocre" care for 5 days, that isn't going to completely deteriorate his health in that short amount of time, is it?

I'm just worried about my baby :(

oops, mispelled tortoise in the title :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am assuming you have complete faith and trust in this person? If so and you know they can be sure the water isn't too deep, nor the little one left alone too long by himself in the water, then I would let them give him soaks. Once more going without the supplements and calcium will be okay, but if they can handle it, why change your normal pattern any more then you need too? Having them not give the same excellent care you give for five days, is not going to be a deal breaker on how healthy your fellow is.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Jacqui said:
I am assuming you have complete faith and trust in this person? If so and you know they can be sure the water isn't too deep, nor the little one left alone too long by himself in the water, then I would let them give him soaks. Once more going without the supplements and calcium will be okay, but if they can handle it, why change your normal pattern any more then you need too? Having them not give the same excellent care you give for five days, is not going to be a deal breaker on how healthy your fellow is.

She's one of those people that will probably worry about the fact that she's been entrusted with my baby just as much as I am, so I figure if I would let her soak him, she would watch him like a hawk :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
futureleopardtortoise said:
Jacqui said:

She's one of those people that will probably worry about the fact that she's been entrusted with my baby just as much as I am, so I figure if I would let her soak him, she would watch him like a hawk :p

Well there's your answer. Just be sure to take her step by step in how to do things, leave a written list, leave food already to be put into the dish, your phone number, even this site's addy, and then go and have a fun trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.