Tortoise books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Okay, I'm apparently all questions today...

Here is the question. What are the best book for these type of Tortoises.
1. The Russian.
2. The Greek.
3. The Hermann.
4. The Redfoot.

Also what is a good book(meaning good in prince and knowledge.) for tortoise owners period.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I think using the internet and information sites like this one is as good or better.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I agree. I think books are (unfortunately) the reason so much misinformation remains about tortoise care. Books cant be updated as frequently. Its also easier to compare multiple sources online.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Also a lot of books are either outdated, or written by someone with 2nd hand knoweledge..I have gotten the best information from this forum and all the actual tortoise owners than I did from book's and the online search's

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Lilithlee said:
Okay, I'm apparently all questions today...

Here is the question. What are the best book for these type of Tortoises.
1. The Russian.
2. The Greek.
3. The Hermann.
4. The Redfoot.

Also what is a good book(meaning good in prince and knowledge.) for tortoise owners period.

There are quite a few good books out there, but here are the ones that have really taught me a lot:

Practical Encyclopedia of Keeping and Breeding Tortoises and Freshwater Turtles by A.C. Highfield - In my opinion, this is the bible of turtle and tortoise keeping. Excellent resource.

The Tortoise and Turtle Feeding Manual by A.C. Highfield - A nice, short book by the same author as the Practical Encyclopedia above. Very well done and very informative.

Russian Tortoises by Ed J. Pirog - This one has some good information on Russians and other Testudo tortoises.

The Guide to Owning a Mediterranean Tortoise by Brian Pursall - Another short book that is very informative.

Practical Care and Maintenance of the Redfoot Tortoise Geochelone carbonaria in Captivity by Mike Pingleton - A good specialty book on the red-footed tortoise. Again, a short book, but packed with great information.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I am probably 50/50 as with books, there are a lot of Internet sites that give bad or wrong information,
I have read one of A.C HIGHFIELD book and it was very good, I know there are separate views on here about Andy, but he a very hands on guy.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I disagree that books are not a good source of valuable tortoise care information. No argument that some books are much better than others. Much of the information circulating the internet and this site have come from books. I've also seen plenty of bad information given out on the internet, including on occasion, this site as well.
Some of the more recent, more technical books are a wealth of information! Stay away from most of the "pet shop" books, especially many published by T.F.H. publishing. Lots of poor and outdated information in them, notoriously mislabeled photos, etc... Many of them are nothing more than multi-page product advertisements! The following are very good, for the most part up to date, books on Hermann's and Mediterranean tortoises:

"Naturalistic Keeping and Breeding of Hermann's Tortoises", by Wolfgang Wegehaupt

"Hermann's Tortoise-Boettger's and Dalmatian Tortoises", by Holger Vetter

"Mediterranean Tortoises", by Lance Jepson

"Mediterranean Tortoises", Brian Pursall

The first two books are very in depth, very technical and full of absolutely valuable information. They both deal only with the Hermann's subspecies.

The third book deals with several of the Mediterranean species in general, gets into some good dietary requirments. Dr. Jepson is a veterinarian by trade.

The fourth is a bit more dated, published last in the mid 90's I believe. I personally think that it's a good book, not so technical but takes a bit of a different view on captive keeping that I have always thought was interesting (and still do).

Andrew Highfield has also written and continues to write books on Mediterranean species. Some of his older books are good, but dated in terms of information. His newer stuff is very much on spot. Highfield does non-stop, hands on field studies and constantly updates information. He continues to be a leading researcher in Mediterranean and other tortoise species.

There is also a book on Russian tortoises by Ed Pirog, published by T.F.H. Nothing personal against the author, I just don't think it's a good book for a multitude of reasons.

I don't know of any books specifically on Greek tortoises, if anyone does, please send me the information!

I continue to read the above books over and over and gain new insight on tortoise care issues each time that I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.