tortoise biting and getting on ones back

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
its 24 and 17 feet . its a rectangular box ...

Your poor turtles need a much better home but it sounds as if you want to start to care for them properly, so have a look at the turtles section under the Species Specific section of the forum to find caresheets and the Enclosures thread may give you some good ideas. Can you at least put a flat rock in each box big enough for them to get out of the water and lie on? Sterilise them with boiling water and let them cool before you put them in.

Last edited:

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Even the 24 by 17 just passed the minimum cage size for hamsters.

happy&joy

Even the 24 by 17 just passed the minimum cage size for hamsters.
Your poor turtles need a much better home but it sounds as if you want to start to care for them properly, so have a look at the turtles section under the Species Specific section of the forum to find caresheets and the Enclosures thread may give you some good ideas. Can you at least put a flat rock in each box big enough for them to get out of the water and lie on? Sterilise them with boiling water and let them cool before you put them in.
you mean the rock ?

happy&joy

But will my tortoise die of loneliness .... because they have lived together for like 10-11 years and if i were to seperate them ....wont they feel lonely

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
so they no feelings ?
Of course they have feelings... When I say fully domesticated, what I mean is, instead of them adapting to our environment, we need to adapt to their environment > and in their environment, they do not live in water all of the time. They have ledges and rocks and bankings to climb upon and sunshine to bask in.
So we need to try and recreate that environment for them within our own space.

happy&joy

Of course they have feelings... When I say fully domesticated, what I mean is, instead of them adapting to our environment, we need to adapt to their environment > and in their environment, they do not live in water all of the time. They have ledges and rocks and bankings to climb upon and sunshine to bask in.
So we need to try and recreate that environment for them within our own space.
oh so thats what you meant haha i misunderstood it sorry !

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Can you do something like this on your patio? 1 for each turtle...

I used a cement mixing tub 2ft x 3ft as a temporary pond for a turtle. See how it's full of water but the rocks stack up allowing the turtle to get out of the water? I kept a hardware cloth lid of top of this tub but removed it for the photos.

465 150.jpg

465 151.jpg

See how the turtle can get all the way out of the water?

465 154.jpg

465 155.jpg

I kept this in partial shade and partial sun...full sun could cook the little guy but they need access to it at times so they can sun themselves and warm up :cool:

Here is another turtle, kept inside an aquarium but still has the rock to climb out on (log, driftwood would work too)

466 213.jpg

Hope this helps you get started on a better set up for your turtles!