tortoise beak bottom

ethanshowman

not sure how long it has been like this i just got back from over seas and my little sister was taking care of them. i am not sure what to do idk if i need to grind it over time or what the other side looks right but the one side is clearly not under the upper beak please help

20161221_161211.jpg 20161221_161215.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
@maggie3fan has a sully with an underbite. I think I have seen @Yvonne G talk about it as well. Maybe they will have input.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a lack of calcium problem. Just make sure to feed the tortoise calcium-rich greens and veggies and make sure he has a GOOD UVB light over his habitat.

You've caught it before it got too bad, and it will be fairly easy to get under control. Gently file the lower beak. Do some today then wait a couple weeks and file some more. Continue like this until you have the lower beak back where it should be.

ethanshowman

It's a lack of calcium problem. Just make sure to feed the tortoise calcium-rich greens and veggies and make sure he has a GOOD UVB light over his habitat.

You've caught it before it got too bad, and it will be fairly easy to get under control. Gently file the lower beak. Do some today then wait a couple weeks and file some more. Continue like this until you have the lower beak back where it should be.

okay how much should i be grinding down on it ? and i will go pick up a better uvb light as well tomorrow morning

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just take off a slight bit all around the edge. There's not much there to work with.