Tortoise Anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I have raised RES, Maps, Softshells, Bearded Dragons, Water Dragons, Hermit Crabs, Parrots, and dogs. But for some reason this Tortoise is the only one I am constantly worried about.

I check his humidity and temperatures all day, cut his food, soak him, and check to be sure he hasnt tipped over. With any other reptile I was not this attentive , and they all turned out just fine. Even my two tiny Maps, that are much smaller than the Sulcata hatchling I just toss the food in the water and let them go for it.

LOL Am I the only crazy one?

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
not at all.. when i first got Tobi, i stayed home for a week to make sure he is ok, not tipping.. i still stop by the house when im running errands to check on him.. i cut his food also, take care of him like a little kid.. i also wake up in the middle of the night to check if he is ok..he is 4 months and im still a wreck.. always worried about him.. my family and friends think im crazy lol...but he is the cutest bestest tortoise ever

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Er.... Oh u mean Tippy? Hahaha u didn't mention what tortoise or it's name. took me a while to figure that out. I'm sure alot of us are worried about hatchlings. In the wild, only the lucky and stronger ones survive. Perhaps Tippy's the runt in the clutch? But in captivity, in the hands of someone who cares, I'm sure he'll survive. :)

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Nope you are not crazy!! Yep, I worry everyday! That's why mine go to a babysitter! :p LOL!!

Keeps babies happy and Lisa happy!!! :p And when everyone is happy, I'm happy!! LOL!!

M

Maggie Cummings

Sulcata hatchlings are extremely fragile and you are doing well to be that attentive...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I still have several CDT babies and a few Texas babies and I occasionally find one upside down. So I check them several times a day. I can't say that I'm fanatic about it, but I do make several checks.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I keep my CDT babies in my workshop where I spend most of the day, so they are always in plain sight. I do glance over at them frequently just to see what they are up to.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
You guys make me feel lucky for being laid-back. I check on them about once a day when I feed and if I'm skipping that day of feeding then I usually check on them. That's about it. We hang out in the same room though, so even though I'm not actively checking on them I do see them when they come out of their hides and say hello.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think its due to this forum and all the really good care info out there. For many years I just tossed a flake of bermuda hay on the ground and raked the poo out of the night house every once in a while, and that was it. They survived, but I can't say it was the best thing ever. Since I joined this forum in January, I've been obsessed with every detail of their care and housing. Constantly, tending to them, checking on them, soaking them, scrounging up new and novel foods for them, growing new and novel foods for them. I just built a great big monster of an insulated tortoise house and I'm already designing a new, better, in-ground one.

... it never ends. You are not crazy. Or maybe all of us ARE crazy.

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
I am the same way. I have owned animals all my life, and have never been so overly concerned as I am with my tortoise.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
PeanutbuttER said:
You guys make me feel lucky for being laid-back. I check on them about once a day when I feed and if I'm skipping that day of feeding then I usually check on them. That's about it. We hang out in the same room though, so even though I'm not actively checking on them I do see them when they come out of their hides and say hello.

I'm the same way, but I'd probably be crazy if I had a hatchling :p

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
When mine were babies they were in a glass enclosure and I watched them all day long. If i had to work I would have probably had to have some type of camera monitor on them. I was nutty when my boys were little too.

Status
Not open for further replies.