TortiForte

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortiForte

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

Just wanted to say HI :)

Im new to torts and have been given a pair (not sure gender though!) of Radiateds. Theyre both about 5-6" long and are somewhat pyramided, i think (they dont have that lovely round ball shape they have in some photos!).

All i could gather from the previous owner is that they were kept indoors on a mainly greens and grass (and hay) diet for about three years.

Ive moved them into an outdoor pen. The pen is pretty small (5x5') and is on clayey/sandey substrate with patches of grass here and there. They have a nice shelter on one end of their pen and wood surrounds the sides of the pen. I have put in a few plants but theyve got some serious holes in them now!

The temps outside are between 32C and 26C (thats 90F and 78F) and they get some sunshine for about half a day. They also get some rain (and this can be torrential at times) but the temperatures dont drop and they have their nice dry shelter to hide in. Humidity is nice and high at about 90% (plus minus 5%).

Ive adjusted them to a Mazuri based diet after seeing several posters on here feeding this as a staple (with greens as supplements).

Is there anything i can do to make my torts happier? How about reversing the pyramiding?

Thanks so much, i hope i can learn more from you guys on how to keep my torts happy and healthy :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tortiforte:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

How lucky is that...Radiateds for your first tortoises! Those are beautiful tortoises. I can't wait to see pictures of them.

No, you can't reverse the pyramiding. If the tortoises are young enough to still be growing, the new growth may smooth out some, but what's already there is there to stay.

It sounds like you've got it under control. You can add different kinds of greens to the diet too. Do your new tortoises eat the hay? If so, that's good. They really do need that roughage in their diet.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
Welcome to the forum! Radiateds are beautiful I'm sure we'd all love pics and some of your enclosure too if you want advice on that... Basically we just like pictures :D I'm not sure about radiateds specifically but I think most of us only feed mazuri a couple of times a week and greens (not lettuce) and hay for the rest.

Congrats though! I'll wait for a real radiated keeper to give you specific advice :)

TortiForte

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

I live in Malaysia and apologise for my command of English.

Unfortunately, as keeping these guys is very sensitive an issue in Malaysia, i dont know if i feel comfortable just yet sharing photos of my little ones. Hope everyone understands :)

Really didnt realise this forum would be so active! Thanks so much for the welcomes guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.