Tort trying to escape

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey meyer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
El Paso, TX
My 140 pound sulcata has been trying to escape from our yard. It started yesterday. We've had him since November and he has never done this. Why is he trying to get out?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
mikey meyer said:
My 140 pound sulcata has been trying to escape from our yard. It started yesterday. We've had him since November and he has never done this. Why is he trying to get out?

Is he being fead regularly?

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
very difficult question to answer. ultimately "who knows"? except for the tortoise, but he probably will not tell you.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
solid walls>? any neighbors have torts? does he have enough shade? hiding places? graze? how big is his yard?
nice looking!!!

mikey meyer

5 Year Member
El Paso, TX
Well it's a wood fence so he can sort of see the other side which is just the driveway, and my neighbors don't have torts

Also he has plenty of shade, we have a huge tree and a porch. His favorite place is his house I built him. And my yard is a pretty good size. He has plenty of room to graze

He is being fed regularly but I kind of cut down on the squash and bell peppers because other people on here said his best diet is grass. Which there is plenty of grass for him to eat. Every now and then he will eat grass but not as much as he used to

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would first plant other edible stuff. Weeds, hosta, rose of Sharon, hibicus, mulberry, rose, etc. While that stuff is growing, maybe feed some varieties of greens. If that doesn't make him stop, I would then make the fence so he can't see out. Good luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mikey.... It's El Paso Texas in mid-July!!!! Its probably 1000 degrees there! :D He's hot and trying to get somewhere cooler or find a suitable place to dig a burrow and get under ground. Has he tried to dig in your yard yet?

netz67

5 Year Member
u.k
hi ,
the best piece of advice i was given while doing tortoise research prior to owning any was if they can see thru it they will want to get to it , with this in mind all my tort encloures have solid wooden walls so they cant see out , as yet i have not had any trying to escape , for a short while indoors their torty table had a perspex side and it was impossible to hear the tv for scratching tortoises trying to get thru it hence its now all wooden :)

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Mine has paper around the bottom, or else he will ram into his reflection (also the brown makes it look natural ;])

Attachments

• image-2952774843.png
    image-2952774843.png
    165 KB · Views: 2

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Its the temperature. He needs to be able to cool down. Houses are good, burrows are better.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
He's probably looking for a lady friend. :D My sulcatas primarily eat grass with other stuff like mazuri given every now and then for their diet so yours will be fine. As long as you have plenty of shade then he will be fine. Just make some mud pits out there if you can so he can wallow in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.