Tort needs a Russian tort pal

oliviaTORTOISE

5 Year Member
Hey guys I really would like a Russian tortoise for my Olivia. I have a big enclosure and I feed them a daily diet of spring mix and a variety of grasses and weeds! I give her TONS of attention and almost daily trips outside in the warm sunny air!!! I love tortoises and I think Olivia gets bored I will be a great owner if I get her a friend! All I need is a tortoises I have the lamps the food the vitamins and the l[HEAVY BLACK HEART]️VE!!! If you are looking for a healthy place and someone to take in your Russian I will take him/her in! All I require is it must be a Russian! Thanks so much!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Most tortoises do not do well in pairs. Russians especially do not do well in pairs. Your tortoise does not want a "friend". They are solitary animals and another tortoise will be seen as an attacker, and intruder or competitor for the available resources. Your tortoise will be much happier alone.

oliviaTORTOISE

5 Year Member
:( ok if that's best for her...... I just wanted a new tortoise... Not for a friend.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Then go ahead and get one, but don't do it for Olivia. She'll be very unhappy at having to share her space with another tortoise. Get another one and set it up by itself too. Then at some future date when you want another one, you can put all three together (after a quarantine period). And don't mix species!!

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
i thought this was a joke at first. what the others said is right. dont do it. keep them separate if you do get another. completely separate.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

in the post you said that you "feed *them* a daily.."? and in the post you specifically said you think she gets bored and you would be a great owner if you get her a friend..so why did you reply to Tom that you just wanted a new tortoise and not a friend for her? shouldve said that in the post then.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise

oliviaTORTOISE

5 Year Member
Please just stop being annoying I just thought it would be nice to get her a friend I did research and I changed my mind completely! so I get it and I don't need anymore unhelpful feedback or anymore NOs I got it the first time.

Sorry if I am being mean but people are getting angry at me and it's making me angry as well. I appreciate your advice but I don't like to be constantly irritated by people.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No one has been mean. You asked for advice, and everyone that reads this will give it. If you want another tortoise get one. Get it for you and house it by itself like your other one. If you want them to live together, then get two more. Have them in a very large, very large outside enclosure, with lots of site barriers and hides. Be sure it's a one male to two female ratio. If you can't provide that then either stick with the one you have or like already said, get another and set it up by itself.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
oliviaTORTOISE said:
Please just stop being annoying I just thought it would be nice to get her a friend I did research and I changed my mind completely! so I get it and I don't need anymore unhelpful feedback or anymore NOs I got it the first time.

Sorry if I am being mean but people are getting angry at me and it's making me angry as well. I appreciate your advice but I don't like to be constantly irritated by people.

No one is angry at you :) It's just that a lot of folks here have seen the aftermath of owners buying companions for their torts (and it is tempting, because who doesn't want another tortoise?) and keeping them in the same enclosure. That includes wounds, bullying, unhealthy tortoises, or tortoises being needlessly put up for adoption. The people who have responded to your post just do not want to see that happen, because you will not be happy either :( No one likes unhappy torts!

You'll need to get a separate enclosure if you want just one extra tortoise. Or a bigger, outdoor enclosure and a good male:female ratio as Wellington said.

oliviaTORTOISE

5 Year Member
Thankyou Pokeymeg.
I now understand that tortoises are solitary animals. Thankyou so much for your response.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Olivia,

I see what upset you. Ignore stuff like that.

You sound very mature and get it! Normal to want more for a friend of the tortoise or for ourselves or both. It doesn't even matter why... :)

Enjoy your tortoise.

oliviaTORTOISE

5 Year Member
Thankyou so much! I figured out wanting another tortoise was mainly just for me hahah! So happy I did not go out and buy one today! Olivia had always been a spoiled only child and would probably not want another tortoise especially a male!

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
i wasnt angry or being rude. you were contradicting yourself and i would rather that you admit to what you said wasnt the best if ideas (which is why you started the thread). we want nothing but the best for your tortoise, and you as their caretaker..this is all on a personal level due to the amount of love the people here have for tortoises. however, people here stand strong by their opinions and for a damn good reason. if you get offended by this, or that you will be told the same thing many times over, then i wouldnt suggest posting. i cant tell you how many times ive seen someone ask for help and they still didnt get it after being told at least 10 times. another reason more than one person says the same thing is because that allows for confirmation that what you were told is right or factual. no one here is INTENTIONALLY trying to upset anyone, simply trying to teach and inform.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise

BeckaHammond

5 Year Member
I have one a Russian Tortoise if you want him! His name is Toby. You would of course need to keep him separate but if you still want one mines for sale!