Top 5 Foods

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I have very little space to grow food indoors for my tortoise over the winter. I was wondering if anybody had a "top five" list of nutritionally dense plants that I could add to the varied grocery store greens.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I dry mulberry leaves all year to use as a "topper" but when I store buy in the winter I get-
Dandilion greens, escrole, endive, mustard & collard greens, kale, radichio and squash. If I can find it I get cactus pads. I am desperate for my 2 yr old sully to eat hay, but not yet.

Keith D.

Arizona
I dry mulberry leaves all year to use as a "topper" but when I store buy in the winter I get-
Dandilion greens, escrole, endive, mustard & collard greens, kale, radichio and squash. If I can find it I get cactus pads. I am desperate for my 2 yr old sully to eat hay, but not yet.
You canbuy a bale of Bermuda grass and do what I do for my littler torts and put handful of it into a big food processor and chop it up into small 1/4 to 1/2 pieces and add it to there salad mix. I only use the bales when I can't get fresh, which at this time of year is hard for me at times lol

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
You canbuy a bale of Bermuda grass and do what I do for my littler torts and put handful of it into a big food processor and chop it up into small 1/4 to 1/2 pieces and add it to there salad mix. I only use the bales when I can't get fresh, which at this time of year is hard for me at times lol
Yep, I just bought a food processor today!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have very little space to grow food indoors for my tortoise over the winter. I was wondering if anybody had a "top five" list of nutritionally dense plants that I could add to the varied grocery store greens.

Nothing beats Tyler's testudo seed mix, but I've never grown it indoors.

I'll bet clover would do well inside.

Potted opuntia.

turtlemanfla88

I am luck because I live in FL and I grew a garden most of the year. Also, I got in good with produce stands and Farmer's market people. I recommend to everyone talk to your local grocery people the big name stores in FL are not as helpful.

turtlemanfla88

also,I know a lot of you live up North and when I was a kid my grandpa grew his garden in five gallon buckets in New York also, stackers are three tiers and take up little room my children school is converting over from traditional veggie gardens to using stackers. I have grow collards and other greens in them successfully.

Prairie Mom

What a great question to ask! Thanks, leigti. I've enjoyed reading what everyone has said so far and I'm hoping more people will post too.:)

I'm still experimenting with my indoor growing, but so far my top five list would be either things that grow really quickly or things that can get relatively big enough that I can clip the leaves & buds and it still grows. (I'll include any photos that I have just for fun. Most of these I've already posted in the garden chat-sorry if they're repeats.)

-Potted Hibiscus (I'm trying this out this year, but have a good feeling about it ;) )
-I am also going to test out grapevine under growlights soon. I tried to last year, but my cat got to that set of grow lights...argh!

What I've liked in the past:
-Melon vines: (indoor watermelon vine below)

watermelon plant indoor.jpg

-Squash & pumpkin (I grow both indoors as seen below) I'll even use saved seeds from a store-bought jack-o lantern. 50/50 chance they grow and produce greens.
squash flowers under lights.jpg

Dandelions: I dig them up and also grow them from seed (chicory grows the same way)
snow dandelion.jpg
(these leaves are a bit stretched because they were in a shady window for a long time)

-Mallow does GREAT dug up and potted. Mine usually goes into shock and looks dead, but I keep watering it and recovers
Oddly enough, I haven't had much luck growing it from seed yet. (This is a LARGE bucket-sized planter shown below.)
mallow.jpg

Wheat grass/barley grass seed---this grows SOOO FAST and you don't even need light. I've grown it in a dark closet in about 7-10 days.
wheat grass.jpg

-I also grow plain ol' lawn fescue mixed with weed seeds. Sometimes I give the whole tray to my tortoise to devour like Spring has arrived early, other times I clip and regrow it...
grass tray.jpg

-and finally sugar snap/snow peas. My tortoise loves these and they grow pretty quickly for a garden plant. I have grown them as an edible curtain for my indoor enclosure a few times...
edible mavis curtain.jpg
I plant the peas after the squash has already sprouted and is getting true leaves, because the
peas grow so much faster.
edible curtain 1 month smaller.jpg
this is what it looks like in about 4 weeks.