Top 3 pellets?

rearlpettway

Regular Mazuri, not the new stuff.
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Chow.

I don't like a third.

I've heard the Marion food sticks are okay, but never tried them.
@Tom,
I am just curios.
Why don't you like the new Mazuri formulation?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
I like it just fine. My tortoises don't like it.

The pieces are also too big for anything but large tortoises and they don't get mushy when you soak them.
Some of those pellets will only get soft when you pour pretty warm or hot water on them. I tried the Zilla Land tortoise formula (small star or flower shaped pellets that are pretty dense and hard) with cold water and after couple hrs they were soft on the outside with hard pit in the inside.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Some of those pellets will only get soft when you pour pretty warm or hot water on them. I tried the Zilla Land tortoise formula (small star or flower shaped pellets that are pretty dense and hard) with cold water and after couple hrs they were soft on the outside with hard pit in the inside.
He's talking about the pellet form Mazuri LS. Torts tend to not like it and it takes a long time to soften. Even using hot water the centers don't quite get soft.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
He's talking about the pellet form Mazuri LS. Torts tend to not like it and it takes a long time to soften. Even using hot water the centers don't quite get soft.
I use those LS Mazuri pellets, both tiny ones and larger ones. I have tried to sprinkle their chopped salads with some tiny ones straight from the bag. One of my torts seems to like the crunch of dry food. To soak them and the big ones i had to pour little hot water over then and let them sit in a bowl like that for 5 min. They do soften. With cold water I don't remember if it worked at all. Warm water would take couple hrs to soak into those particles. Those Zilla Land tortoise tiny kibbles are like that too.,